Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having watched dozens of hours of MC videos on YouTube:

I suggest riders mount GoPro on the SIDE of your helmet rather than the top.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-AHEDM-001-Side-Mount/dp/B009PK9UW0[/ame]

Here's why: With it pointed properly you can pick up

A) a tiny sliver of the face shield
B) the MC windscreen and dash
C) the view out in front

Overall, the effect for the VIEWER is to feel like THEY are the one riding the MC.

When I find that superb video again I'll post the link

·
On The Road Again!
2,981 Posts
I found that mounting it on my chest, a few inches below my chin gave GREAT video, with both mirrors and the handlebars showing in the picture. Definitely gave the viewer the impression of riding with me.
But that was on my Honda Trail 90 with no windshield or fairing. On a bike with a fairing, you may not see very much from that position. The camera would be seeing the inside of the fairing. In that case, the side of the helmet might be better as you suggested.
In my case, when I tried mounting the camera on my helmet, I got a very jerky difficult to follow video because I am constantly moving my head and checking around me. I couldn't hold my head still long enough to get decent video. Forty years of riding with my head on a swivel was nearly impossible to overcome. (but maybe that's why I've stayed alive on the road for so long. :) )

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I've always mounted my helmet cams on the right side of my helmets (my right) to avoid getting them knocked off the top from a low lying branch. The left side is reserved for my heated shield plug and or the bluetooth unit. IMO I've always prefered the size and shape of the Contour helmet cameras because they were less likely to get knocked off. And they didn't look like you had a satellite dish on your head. Sadly they don't make them anymore.:frown: I didn't have a decent MC thumb tack saved, but you get the idea.;)
Edit: The reason you see so much of the helmet is I mounted the cam behind the modular flip up chin guard. I later relocated it forward onto the flip up.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I found that mounting it on my chest
Considering the excellent stabilization the head/neck provides .... there wasn't too much image shake/jiggle with chest mounting?

Or are you a lady rider with dual shock absorption units located there???

Did ya hear about the German scientist that came up with the sports bra that completely eliminates all bounce and jiggle?

Of course not. His colleagues killed him.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I actually find that mounting the camera on the chin bar is best, as it gives you the closest thing possible to the sightline of the rider's eyes.

·
On The Road Again!
2,981 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah i agree with the original post, i like my go pro on the side of my helmet as well. being able to see a bit of the face shield adds a touch of flare to the video

1 - 13 of 13 Posts