Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were steady with low overnight temperatures around 50 F. Well about four days ago we were at zee row C, or 32 F, or freezing in English. After checking all the thermostats, I went to the back up system. The front window on the RV, red van. Scratched it with my finger nail. Frozen. Eek. Was riding that day. Put on extra gear. Lady on a scooter at the ferry dock, was chilly. Where else can you ask a lady you do not know, what she is wearing under here jeans. No long johns. I had rain pants over my jeans, and my warmer gloves, but not the super warm ones. Will not be long and it will be long Johns, warm sweat pants, and rain pants on top.

But it has warmed up again overnight, so no panic just yet.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,747 Posts
Yep. We went from 90º to 32º, that is Fahrenheit. Or how about just doggone cold.:smile:

Reactions: Porky and FlipFlop

·
Registered
753 Posts
Why does the Climate change from hot to cold around this time of the year? According to the climate 'Experts', we're all going to melt or freeze to death. I wish they could make up their minds, so I could dress appropriately. lol.

65 during the day here, and dropping down into the 30/20's at night. We've already had our first dusting of snow.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Turned colder with the rain around here. Didn't get to freezing but the forecasters predicted it could. (Looked like they were about to wet their pants with excitement!)

Now it's nicer out, I've caught a cold or hit by an allergy. Cold weather sucks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Turned colder with the rain around here. Didn't get to freezing but the forecasters predicted it could. (Looked like they were about to wet their pants with excitement!)

Now it's nicer out, I've caught a cold or hit by an allergy. Cold weather sucks!
We are dipping into the low 40's/high 30's overnight and then warming into the 60's/low 70's. My favorite riding weather! Biggest downside is the ragweed pollen! I always seem to spend a week or two every fall with a sore throat, congested lungs, etc...

Reactions: Porky

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
Boy, I feel for you guys.

I'm not allergic to nuthin'!
About 70 here today. Just got back from a local ride running errands. Beautiful riding weather!
More of the same predicted for tomorrow!

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Yep, best riding weather of the year is right now around here, the spring is usually much wetter, the fall tends to be dry. Pollen kills me too, I feel sort of sick every fall from it, like a mild cold for a few weeks till the pollen count goes down.
Oh well, after 55 years I'm used to it :)

We are dipping into the low 40's/high 30's overnight and then warming into the 60's/low 70's. My favorite riding weather! Biggest downside is the ragweed pollen! I always seem to spend a week or two every fall with a sore throat, congested lungs, etc...

Reactions: ketchboy and Porky

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
39 degrees here this morning!
Brrr....

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,210 Posts
Ugh, I want to move to Florida or Texas. A place where cold doesn't have to involve ice, snow, salty roads, and blizzards.

Reactions: roflol and Porky

·
American Legion Rider
21,747 Posts
Ugh, I want to move to Florida or Texas. A place where cold doesn't have to involve ice, snow, salty roads, and blizzards.

Just be sure you go further south than I did or you will still get ice and even occasional snow. Usually ice though. The Austin area is better in that regard but San Antonio is better yet for winter conditions or lack there of.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just be sure you go further south than I did or you will still get ice and even occasional snow. Usually ice though. The Austin area is better in that regard but San Antonio is better yet for winter conditions or lack there of.
Why I ride the XS400, or Yami with the side car. The 23% salt solution stays on the roads for a long time. Both bikes need to be stripped, sand blasted and painted. Main job this time of year, is to make sure both are running well.

We do not get much ice, just slushy snow, and the van cage can handle that. I only use winter tyres on the cage, it mostly sits during the warmer months.
We are back around 50 overnight.

UK

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I wanted to live in south Texas in the winter, (not too far from Three Twisted Sisters) and in Spearfish, South Dakota in the summer, (It's not too far from Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and those Rocky Mountains.) :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
One year during the fall I was riding with a fixed windscreen on my helmet - it did not move up or down. I was going down the side of a hill in the Poconos and both the temp plus humidity changed so rapidly my windscreen fogged right up. I could not see the speedo and it hit within a second. I slammed on the brakes (I knew there was a corner coming) held on tight. Found myself skidding across somebody's lawn and came to rest along side their foundation wall. I broke the screen off and road on. One of the most terrifying rides I have ever had but it turned out great. What a lesson -
Still, this is the best time of year to ride. Be safe out there everyone.

·
Registered
376 Posts
One year during the fall I was riding with a fixed windscreen on my helmet - it did not move up or down. I was going down the side of a hill in the Poconos and both the temp plus humidity changed so rapidly my windscreen fogged right up. I could not see the speedo and it hit within a second... One of the most terrifying rides I have ever had ... What a lesson...
I had a very similar experience -- was on a ride from Texas to the Carolinas, middle of the night back in gas-rationing days -- late November or early December... went down a hill and instantly could see nothing -- fogged up my fog-proof shield... In my case I thought the road was straight so i let off the gas and felt for the road with my boots... got stopped okay... ripped that faceshield off my helmet and threw it in the ditch, and haven't worn one since... all I ever wear is safety glasses I can rip off quickly -- no faceshield, and any windshield has to be short enough can see over it, they fog too -- normally ride pretty well protected, but when push comes to shove I want t be able t instantly rip it all away and have nothing between my eyes and the road for as long as it takes to get back to normal...

·
7,759 Posts
39 degrees in Carthage @ 7:30 AM, too cold for me, even when I was a young rough rider:smile_big:

I have to leave for work shortly and I will remote start my F150, wait 5 minutes so that the heated seat is comfy and start the long 10 mile ride on country roads to my Office and then @ 12 noon sharp, Chair the Advisory Board meeting on the Carthage Square and then wander on home and maybe go for a ride on my Indian Scout:grin:

I'm hoping that a 'Land bridge,' will appear that links California to Kona, Hawaii and then the most beautiful place in the World will be a short 2,376 mile ride away:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
I ride mostly with just the windshield on the bike.
Still, late afternoon rides at this time of year, heading into the setting sun, can be difficult.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Traveling into a rising sun or a setting sun can be blinding sometimes. I don't get up early enough for sunrise anymore, but sunset has nailed me a few times. :)
This time of year, with the stupid daylight saving time, the kids leave, and stand for the bus, in the dark. I quit taking the 0735 ferry, because I would have to get ready and leave in the dark. We do not have no stinking street lights on my Island. Everyone carries a torch with them.
The school bus for the big kids goes by around 0625. Light appears around 0715.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
21,747 Posts
We should have gone off daylight savings time a month ago and if we had, most folks would not have noticed much of a change at all. Same is true in spring. Trash the darn thing already. It does not save ANYTHING. My cows don't go on DST.:mad:

At a certain time of the year I'm blinded by the rising sun as a leave my place and several times I was sure glad there were no other car going the opposite direction.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts