Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1995 LS650, for some reason at random times when I am accelerating (in any gear) the engine kinda lags out or 'sputters' and is unresponsive when I apply extra throttle. I release the throttle and apply again which usually helps alleviate it temporarly. This is very dangerous to me because I will be going 15 mph from a right turn trying to get upto 45mph and its lagging out on me regaining my speed. Oh and also, does the 'choke' need to be pulled OUT(toward me) or be left in while riding? What is the fuel knob that reads RES/ON/OFF. Which position should it be? Sorry for all the questions but on some site I read that my stuttering could be caused by a 'too rich' mixture of fuel that is not combusting.

If you can answer these for me I will be eternally grateful to you, I'm a beginner and want to ride safely.
Special thanks for any input =)

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds like to me your fuel mixture is way off. it may be to rich or to lean. depends on how its sputtering. if its popping back through the carburetor they its probably not getting enough fuel. if its popping in the exhaust it might be getting to much. does it idle good or not. im not sure about the choke. i would say say push it in when the engine is warmed up. Thats how i always remember chokes on bikes. The fuel knob has 3 setting on it. you will want to run it in the on position when you fill the tank and when it gets low after riding a long distance it will start sputtering and try to run out of fuel. that is when the reserve or (RES) comes in. put the selector in that position and get to a gas station quick. Fill up and put the selector back in the on position. If your bike sits more than a week or so put it in the off position to keep from your carburetor from leaking all your fuel out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it idles pretty smoothly and it takes a couple seconds to start up. There is maybe occasional times i gotta give it a hint of throttle to get things moving when it turns on.
I'm starting to narrow down that the carb is the problem, what would you suggest to help fix this problem. A good cleaning maybe? Whats odd is that when I first got it, it did not seem to have that problem but after taking it out on the open road (and not the neighborhood) it started acting up. I even drained the old oil and put new in.

C

·
0 Posts
I very recently had a bout of very similar symptoms. Ran okay but bogged really bad on takeoff. For me it was a simple fix. Poor flow through my air filter. I noticed a significant idle drop when re-installing the (OLD) filter with the bike running. So I removed it completely and rode around the block and the trouble was gone. Old filter (foam) was so disintegrated it practically crumbled, not sure what happened to it as it wasn’t bad on my last check?!? Replaced filter...so simple I feel stupid. :eek:

Start with the simple stuff and try removing the air filter and take a short test drive...it's free. Also a dose of SeaFoam might help.

·
Registered
419 Posts
SeaFoam is the "fix all" additive. I use it all the time when people want to quite their lifters, but dont want to spend an arm and a leg on repairs.

Run some SeaFoam through your fuel system. Burn about a tank full through her, see if that helps out any. Aslo a good way to tell if your bike is lean or rich is to pull the plugs out and look at them. White means lean, black means rich and coco brown means all good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my guess is that the pilot jet is gummed up - if you feel comfortable, take the carbs apart and clean EVERYTHING VERY CAREFULLY, making sure you know what goes where (repair manuals help with that). you can use an in-tank cleaner, but you will get best results if you blast out any crud in your carbs yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright well ill start by cleaning the carbs then checking fuel & air filter for any other troubles. Ill keep yall posted, thanks for all the advice, im impressed. Any more suggestions let me know please. =)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm a beginner too but they say you start simple and cheap and work towards more complex and expensive. Starting by taking the carbs apart is the least parsimonious approach I'd say.
Seafoam (red can, not the little bottle for fuel-injected bikes), air filter - see what you get. Then carbs. The Seafoam hopefully takes care of it without pulling the carbs.
Again I'm a beginner but the simple/cheap to complex/expensive idea has stuck with me, don't know what others with more experience have to say.

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Old thread, but a common problem. Did it used to run fine? What has changed? Often it is partially clogged jets, or fuel flow. The too rich or too lean is a good description above.
Timely subject too, as I am having a similar problem with my mighty four hundred. Yesterday when I checked I had one lightly rich cylinder, and one very lean cylinder. I removed the carbs and blew air thru the lean side, and went up one jet size. More tests to follow. UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts