Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been an increase in bike traffic headed north the past couple of days. I live right on a major N-S highway in Nebraska and the extra traffic is noticeable.

But there has been a huge change. Many of the bikes coming through are on trailers pulled by SUV’s. This morning I saw a Caddy pulling two Harleys on an open trailer.

A lot of people don’t want their nice bikes on an open trailer so many are being hauled in enclosed trailers, so I can only guess the increase in those northbound trailers means they are hauling bikes as well.

Not that many years ago, there was nearly a constant roar as streams of bikes rode past, but the times, they are a-changing. Apparently, many of those who actually ride their bikes to Sturgis, circumvent Nebraska because helmets are required here but are not in neighboring states.

I miss the sights and sounds and those groups rumbling by... :frown:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I noticed that Monday here. Guess some like being there first. No way would I want to be there this year though. It's crazy every year but this one should take the cake.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
All the lawyers and doctors are headed up now with their motorhomes and enclosed bike trailers. When the bikers start riding up, highway 2 will be nearly bikes only.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
It was bikers hauling there little Winnebago's or Air Streams behind their bikes that I saw.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
That would be real bikers!

An attorney friend of mine goes up every year, he has taken the same bike for at least the last ten years, it has almost 2,000 miles on it now! That doesn't count the miles on the trailer. Still has the original tires on the bike, but has changed the tires on the trailer several times.

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back in the sixties and seventies, I farmed ground alongside Hwy 81 and would watch the bikes go by headed for Sturgis... Triumphs, HD, BMW, BSA's, riders in leather helmets and goggles and t-shirts and a sleeping bag rolled up behind them.

Like I said, much has changed.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I don't think it's changed that much. This is the first time I ever saw a pack of trailers. I normally see bikes loaded down like the truck on Beverly Hillbillies. That's just like in the past.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About ten years ago, AFTER Sturgis, a guy comes limping in to my shop with a broken trailer hitch. He was pulling a 24' enclosed trailer loaded to the gills with a mechanical bull and energy drinks. He said he'd had a terrible year as a vendor at Sturgis, hardly selling any of his stock of Red Bull and Blue Ox ... said most folks weren't inclined to try riding the bull.

He didn't have the use of his legs so his wife had to do all the physical work. It wasn't hard to see she was plumb tuckered out and kind of discouraged.

I don't usually work on trailer hitches (liability thing) but I felt sorry for them so I repaired the hitch. After settling the bill he also leaves behind twenty cases of Red Bull and Blue Ox energy drinks which I gave away to customers the next few weeks.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I don't think many go to Strugis to drink energy drinks. Had he had beer he would have done much better.

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^^ No doubt!

He did say they'd been going for ten years and had done very well in the past. Seems like he said he couldn't get the same spot.

·
8,606 Posts
God bless them all, if they want to ride in from Southern, Calif like me and my friends did for many years @ 1,450 miles one way and probably over 100 to 120 degrees almost all of the way, then so be it. If they are an aging demographic like we know they are then let then enjoy this time in their lives behind the wheel of their motorhome's or SUV's, pulling a trailer with their toys in it. Maybe they will have enough energy to enjoy sturgis and the many nice places to ride while they are there, instead of being beat to death.

Since the last time I went, in 1997, I have developed a terrible disc situation in my back, with a 'drop foot' syndrome in my right leg. Since 2004, my left knee is bone on bone. I have terrible arthritis and tearing in my right shoulder and 2 years ago, I had a double bye-pass, so riding across the hell hole of Kansas in August somehow doesn't appeal to me now, and it didn't appeal to me to ride through the Hades of CA, Nevada and Utah, in the triple digits!

I bring this up because there are a lot of older riders and lots that are disabled but you can't tell as they sit in their luxury motorhome or SUV, enjoying the leather and air conditioning and not having to look forward to staying in a campground with lots of those terribly loud and obnoxious open piped Harley Davidson's, coming in to camp at 3 am, after the bars have closed.

We really shouldn't judge Folks on how they enjoy maybe their life long hobby.

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Do you find you repeat yourself sometimes too Porky.:D

Metaldoc said:
So you don't think a roadside lemonade stand at the end of my driveway would pan out...
Let's just say you won't get as rich as with beer but I for one would slam a lemonade down in the heat up there.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts