Motorcycle Forum banner

Stumped...Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

19708 Views 48 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Mark RoyalStar
I have a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe with just over 33K miles on it. Today I was out riding around in the local area, run a few errands, visit dad at the home, stop at a body shop about a project I have. I had stopped in a small town for about a half hour and I headed east out of town. Speed limit went from 35, to 45, to 55.
I was in 4th gear as I approached the 55 MPH zone so I sped up to 55 and shifted into 5th (high) gear.

In less than a hundred yards the engine died. I coasted a little ways and then managed to turn in to the driveway of a small business. I sat there for just a minute wondering what the heck had happened now. I checked the kill switch. It was still in the run position. But I flipped it back and forth a couple times anyway. Checked fuel petcock, it was on, choke was off, over 1/2 tank of fuel in the tank. I then shifted it into neutral and tried the starter.

The engine turned over just like it normally would but didn't start right up, like it normally does. After maybe 3 or 4 seconds, the engine started firing and then started running normally. I revved it up a couple times then let it go to idle. Then I shut it off. Turned the key back on, hit the starter and it fired right up, like normal. Rode the rest of the way home, about 5 miles, and it never missed once. Temperatures were in the upper 80's or lower 90's.

This bike did nearly the same thing 2 years ago right after I first got it. I was in Colorado and was coming through LaVita Pass, (LaVeta?). I had came through the pass and was on the downhill side when the engine died. I tried starting it several times while coasting down the hill and it wouldn't start. I finally gave up and just coasted to a stop on the side of the road.

I got off, checked fuel, choke, plug wires got back on the bike and it started right up. Rode from Colorado back to Arkansas and it never missed once. When it quit in Colorado, after talking to other riders and the dealership, the suspect was just the altitude caused it to die. Now I'm not so sure.

When I got home I parked the bike for about an hour . I got to wondering if my fuel pump had quit temporarily on me. When I turned the key on, I could hear the fuel pump, pumping up pressure, and the bike started again just like it normally would.

Before it died, there weren't any warning lights coming on. Anyone got any ideas?
See less See more
1 - 19 of 49 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned its not a fuel injected engine, it has carburetors. But you may still be on to something. Last year I replaced the fuel pump. While I was doing that, I discovered the fuel filter was hidden down below the battery box where it was hard to see and hard to get to. I re-routed some fuel lines so the fuel filter can be seen as soon as the seat is pulled off. I'll have a look at those fuel lines again to make sure nothing has kinked, also take a gander at the fuel filter since it's right there. :)
I was just thinking back to when the engine died. I was accelerating in 4th gear up to 55 MPH. When I hit 55, and shifted in to high gear, I had let off the throttle. At that point, I had started down a little hill so I was probably giving very little if any throttle at that point. I had the radio playing so I may not have noticed that the engine had died until I started to give it some throttle.

At 55 MPH, with the clutch engaged, in high gear, the exhaust still makes some noise. Right now I'm thinking the engine could have died right as I let off the throttle. Another clue, maybe, maybe not?
Oh I hope I don't have to do that, again. Had a '95 Goldwing several years back, those things are ate up with relays, and safety switches.
Today I pulled the seat off and side covers. Checked all the fuel lines. No kinks, fuel pump seems to be working just fine. I also checked the fuel filter. Still looks good and clean. So I put it all back together and went riding. Went less than a mile and it died again, and I know exactly why this time. I took my right hand off the grip a moment and when I put it back on the grip, I accidently hit the kill switch. Flipped it back on and away I went.

Could I have done that the first time, but not flipped the kill switch so far that it was obvious? I don't know. Don't remember now if I took my hand off the grip. Could have, maybe. Anyhow rode all over the place the rest of the day without any problems at all.
I'll fiddle with the kill switch next time I get the bike out of the trailer. It's a cloudy, overcast day today and I've got to run some errands and I'll need my truck.

I'd rather spend a few bucks on this bike if I have to, than buy another one. This one's paid for and I really like the way it can eat up the miles when I get out and want to go somewheres. With my limited income, a payment on another bike, along with full coverage insurance, would really put a damper on just getting out and riding.
Now it's raining. Nice and cool out right now, but soggy.
When it died, it was rather abrupt. If it clears off a bit this afternoon, I'll go out and fiddle with it some more. Appreciate the ideas.
Went out this morning to get the bike out of the trailer. Strong gas smell. Got it out and found a little bit of gas at the bottom of the "V". Wiped it up but there wasn't much to wipe up. Couldn't see where it was coming from.

Turned on the key, lights come on like normal, hit starter, it starts turning over like normal but doesn't start. Turn key off, back on, lights come on, hit starter and nothing, no lights, motor doesn't turn over, nothing.

Pull the seat and check all the fuses, they're good. Kind a pull and twist on the negative battery cable, nothing. Pull and twist on the positive cable and buzzzzzzzz, fuel pump comes on. I had left the key on. Pulled and cleaned the battery cable. All the lights come on. Hit the starter and the engine spins and popped a few times but didn't start. Checked the petcock and made sure the choke was off.

Hit the starter and held it a few seconds and it started. Let it run a little bit then turned it off. Started right back up. Did that several times. Then went in the house and ate lunch. After lunch I got on the bike, it started right up. I idled it the hundred yards of so out our flint rock and dirt excuse for a road to the asphalt.

Turned right on to the asphalt and what the heck! Acts like its running on two cyclinders (its a 4 banger). Open the throttle a little and WAAAAHHH, now its percolating! Shift to second gear, same thing. Third gear and it dies. Never took my hands off the grips. Had not touched the kill switch. Coasted up to a side road and pulled the seat off. Could get the lights to come on, but whenever I hit the start button everything just went black.

Called the wife to come get me so I could hook the trailer to the truck and go get my bike. Trying to roll a 800 pound bike around on a dirt road in 90 degree weather will cause you to sweat. Our neighbor boy stopped to help and probably saved me from another heart attack. I'm tired and hot and don't want to work on it right now, but I'm going to check what TriPlay said about a faulty ground wire. If I have to I can run a ground directly to the negative side of the battery.
See less See more
I haven't done a thing to it, but I went out this afternoon, got in the trailer, turned the key on, hit the starter and it fired right up.

Revved it up a couple times, no hesitation, no missing, let it idle a minute, turned the key off and closed up the trailer.
Took it to the dealer today. Hate to think about it sitting out there with something wrong and not being able to wrench on it because my right arm is fubar'ed.
I'm anxious to find out too. It may be a few days before they find out what the heck is wrong but that's okay. Its not like I don't have anything else to ride. :)

It also gives me a little time to make some repairs and clean up the trailer I store the bike in. I just finished putting a new vent cover on, a new jack and washed the thing. Sitting under these oak trees make a white trailer want to turn green and black, yuck!
Today I picked up the bike from the dealership. The bike got a new set of spark plugs, new air cleaners and the battery cables were cleaned up, again. They also found one of the carb boots was leaking, (I had forgot to tell them about the strong gas smell, guess they noticed it). The boot was just barely on, I was told. Anyhow, the mechanic said he must have started the bike at least a hundred times while they had it and he has rode about 5 miles on it. Everything is "supposed" to be okay now. I sure hope so. :)
Finally! I woke up this morning to blue skies and sunshine. I picked the bike up in the trailer because it was raining. Been cloudy and overcast and nasty looking out until this morning.

I opened the trailer up today and started it in the trailer. Didn't want to back it out and then discover it wouldn't start, then try to push it back into the trailer. Too much work for a fat man. So it started, I rolled it out and parked it behind the trailer and left it idling. Checked my lights, hi-low beam, signals and brake lights. All were fine.

After it idled a bit I shut it off, let it sit a few minutes then checked the oil. All is good. So I ride it up to the Baptist Church a bit over a mile away. Turned around and rode to the Twelve Corners Baptist Church. Seems to be running just fine, just like it is supposed to. I was low on fuel so I rode to Garfield the long way, about 12 miles or so, and filled it up.

Overall I rode about 60 miles on it. Shut it off and restarted it several times. Run it through the gears kind of hard, (at least for me) and then rode about 30 miles or so on a long crooked road. Mostly in 3rd and 4th gear at around 40 MPH. So I reckon its fixed, but I still don't have the confidence in it that I had before. It'll take a few more miles and a bit more time for that to come back. :)
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I try to ride each one at least once a week, weather permitting. I keep the Harley in the shop, under a cover, and it's on a battery maintainer most all the time. The Yamaha is kept in a small box trailer. I'd need to drill a hole in it to get power for a battery maintainer or charger. Really don't want to do that.
Thanks UK, I hope it's fixed too.
I don't put it in the top gear until I reach 55 MPH, or more. If I'm just cruising down the highway, enjoying the shade and the curves, and there is no one riding my donkey, I'll be in third or forth gear.
Haven't rode the Yamaha for a while now. I really need to get out and just do it. It's that time of year that if the weather isn't cold or raining, tons of leaves are falling in the yard and blah, blah, blah...

Next semi nice day I'll put on my Nebraska pants, boots, coat and helmet and put some miles on the Yamaha. See if it will start stuttering again then check the gas cap. Need to get some Sta-bil in it too.
1 - 19 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.