Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KZ440 no spark. Tested coil, battery, spark plugs and spark plug wires. Coil was bad. Received new coil which tested fine at 2.6 and primary at 12. Replaced coil. Still no spark. Turns over just fine. What else could it be?!? I have a condenser on the way. I still have points which were just done by a very experienced and good dude so I don’t think they need any adjustments.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Bad ignition module, maybe? Not incredibly familiar with those but I do know they have some sort of ignitor thing.

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
I know you said the points were just done but maybe check to see if they are opening and closing? A meter on the wire while you crank it over will tell you if they are at least doing that which should at least give you some spark if everything else is working. Are you sure you connected the new coil correctly? If the old one was bad but the new one is good you should have seen a change when it was installed.

Have you checked the condensor? you can test one with an analog meter ( google how), or a capacitor tester function on a digital one if you have that.

It's been a long time since I worked on anything with points, it's becoming a lost art...a lot of people today have no idea what 'fun' they can be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mike721 thanks for your reply! I’ve got a new condenser on the way! Points are opening and closing. I wonder if I should just switch to an electronic ignition and get rid of the points. Maybe that’s it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts