Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a horror story about a guy riding with a pocket knife. He went down in a crash and the knife ended up going in one side of his body blade first and out the other side of his body HANDLE first...so a 180 degree turn through his body somewhere...Just be careful with what you carry and keep in mind fallin on it might not be so fun.

·
On The Road Again!
4,199 Posts
A few years ago, heading to the pharmacy to get a prescription filled, riding my little Honda 90. Had the plastic prescription bottle in my right front pocket.
Hit a patch of diesel fuel at a corner. Bike slid right out from under me. Going slow, so no real damage to the bike.
I lost a little skin on my elbow.
But the real damage was when that damned pill bottle shattered when my hip landed on it.
That hurt for a week!
I learned my lesson. NOTHING in my pockets when I ride.

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
Makes you wonder about those running around with very full rings of keys in their pocket. You know the kind...

·
On The Road Again!
4,199 Posts
All of my bikes have saddlebags or some sort of trunk.
Nothing in my pockets. Everything goes in the bags!
I can't even imagine landing on a big ring of keys like that!

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
You have to balance different concerns when riding. Generally I empty MOST everything from my pockets(key ring, phone, pocket knife, eye glass case) into the trunk on the back of the Goldwing. But on the off chance that somehow the cases lock gets activated, the fob that can unlock the cases stays in my pocket. And, I must admit, almost always there is a small handgun in my right front pocket. Having a firearm in the side or top case is not likely to be be accessible if I ever need it to defend myself. Even in my pocket, in a holster, most likely I would have to be off the bike to easily draw the gun. But the small possibility of ever needing a gun measured against the potential harm to myself by not having a gun with me, causes me to come down on the side of carrying the gun. Maybe someday this will lead to one helluva bruise on my right thigh, but I guess I will have to take my chances.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just be careful with what you carry and keep in mind fallin on it might not be so fun.
Good advice!

You have to balance different concerns when riding... And, I must admit, almost always there is a small handgun in my right front pocket... But the small possibility of ever needing a gun measured against the potential harm to myself by not having a gun with me, causes me to come down on the side of carrying the gun. Maybe someday this will lead to one helluva bruise on my right thigh, but I guess I will have to take my chances.
I'm with you on that, Vito! I alternate between pocket and IWB carry but I'll take potential bad bruises over potential death any day!

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Hmm...I usually have a pen in my right front pants pocket. I think I'll start putting it in my backpack.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea pens are a big no for me as well. I almost always have to be carrying a pen and have to go out of my way to move it to my backpack. some pens i use are high quality metal tubed.

·
On The Road Again!
4,199 Posts
My pen is in my tank bag along with the note paper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts