Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 of 4 exhaust studs came out relatively easily. Last one has been a pain. I've tried a torch, welding a bigger nut, love taps from a dead blow etc.

So I finally cut it down and drilled out the center, except it's a little off center. I've gone as wide as I can, I fear next bit size up will dig into the aluminum. Everytime I try to use a spiral bit to extract, it just makes it wider.

In the pics, it's left exhaust port, right stud

Any tips for moving forward?

Attachments

·
Gone
23,903 Posts
Maybe a small sharp chisel can catch the edge of what's left of the stud and bend it out of there. There isn't much left of it.

If that fails, drilling and tapping the hole large enough for a helicoil is probably the only other alternative.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Wow, ya, it looks like you're almost there. Definitely try hitting it with a small punch or chisel to bend it - I don't think you can really drill anymore.

Reactions: SemiFast

·
Ace Tuner
4,348 Posts
Maybe a small pencil grinder with a small carbide bit?
Ever so slowly grind until you get the stud thin enough to pull, bend, fight it out.
I hate dealing with those!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually left 1/4in stick out when I cut it down so I could grab it with som chanel locks. It just twisted the end right off.

I was thinking heli-coil too but isn't it to far off-center to completely drill it out?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will depend on how much wiggle room the exhaust manifold gives you. I think it will be worth a try before scrapping the head for sure. The last alternative would be to fill the hole with a TIG welder and re-drill and re-tap.
Scrapping the head will be absolute last resort. I've already had to buy a used throttle body and other various odds and ends. I just want to get her back together and ride before the sun disappears.

I'll sink a stud into JB weld before I'll toss the head (jk). I most likely am over thinking it, I've extracted plenty of fused bolts before, but it's a first on something I own. I had decent luck till now. Finally breaking in my $500 snap on extraction kit I've had for 7 years. Shame only the lefty drill bits actually did anything.

I've been working this stud for 3 weeks, every day I spray it with PB blaster or wd-40 till i finally decided to drill it out the other day. It's still sitting there hollowed out. I think today will be the day when I put on my big boy pants and deal with it.

Still have to find a heli-coil kit though. Any tips for brand and where to buy from? Never had to purchase a kit for home use till now

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I have an old VW bus on which I snapped an exhaust stud - right after having the heads rebuilt... Darn it! I ended up partially drilling it out as you have and then just tapped the hole as-is for a slightly smaller bolt. Problem was I was going to make things worse if I kept going.

There's about 25K miles on that now since that bit of hackery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Time Sert's are better than helicoils.
Had to Google that. I remember watching someone install one of those to repair spark plug threads. They seem pretty heavy duty. Only problem is it looks like it has a lip on it and the exhaust manifold wont fully seal with one end raised up. I'll search and see if I can find a flush type insert

Edit: literally next page had flush inserts lol thanks for advice

·
Ace Tuner
4,348 Posts
When the Time-Sert is installed correctly it will be flush or just below flush and will stay put.
Also the solid steel threads of the Time-Sert are much better (stronger) than the original aluminum threads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To top it off, the threads are damaged but its shallow and the hole isn't misshapen. Definitely needs an insert but thankfully I dont need a new head. Thx for the support guys, I got the energy and fire back to start putting it back together from full tear down. WOOOO!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.