Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
I have a 77 suzuki gs400 I just recently started to tear into the engine I have run into a little bit of an issue the cylinder head wont come off I have applied heat, had a buddy hold it while I hit the head bolts (with the nuts on) and prying it hasn't budged at all I believe there's only the eight head bolts.
Thank you all in advance

American Legion Rider
@johnpitcairn
It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduce yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 馃憤

Visionary
Double and triple check that you haven't missed any hidden bolts, check the manual or parts view to see if you missed something.

Like Mike said!!

I have seen some heads that have a few small 10mm bolts UNDERNEATH the heads, going through a top cylinder head fin; Easy to miss.

If all else fails, use a rubber mallet and tap around the head until it moves.

Sam:)

Registered
Bring it to the bottom of compression stroke on #1, feed a soft rope into the cylinder, don't fill it through, then while on the centerstand and bike in 2nd gear grab the rear tire and try popping that virber up. Alternate with #2.

NOTE I HAVE DONE THE TIRE THING TO LOOSEN A RUSTY PISTON BUT NOT TO POP A HEAD OFF

Registered
Good afternoon,
I have a 77 suzuki gs400 I just recently started to tear into the engine I have run into a little bit of an issue the cylinder head wont come off I have applied heat, had a buddy hold it while I hit the head bolts (with the nuts on) and prying it hasn't budged at all I believe there's only the eight head bolts.
Thank you all in advance
There are 8 studs which would have the nuts on the top and then there are 2 bolts, one on each side next to the spark plug. I noticed no one here gave the correct answer and you have not responded, so if you do read this, there ya go. For anyone else that has this same issue... there ya go as well.

Not Rocket science, especially when a person can actually see the motorcycle but others, may have a hard time visualizing an obscure 43 year old Cylinder head and its attachment points, so sue us.:)

Sam:)

Registered
I just contacted my lawyer... He said It looks like I have a good case. 馃槄

Reactions: SemiFast
1 - 8 of 8 Posts