Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,059 Posts
Very nice labor of love---you should be proud!

Sam:):coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Wow geez seriously is that the same bike in both pics? Awesome restoration!!
Thanks Nordic Man and Thanks Porky!
and Yes Same bike!
3 people worked on the bike on weekends and som,e nights from 2008-2011!!
Over $7K investyed and No, I know its not gonna sell for that....BUT, it was a Labor of Honor for a Good Friend I served in Military with back in early 70's.
It was his bike, we had stayed in touch over the years after we both got out of service he parked it in 1994 and he passed away unexpectedly in 2008.
His widow called and told me if I wanted it .....come get it, otherwise she was taking it to the dump! I rented a truck, drove to Kings Mountain,N.C. and brought it back to Tennessee, My first cousin who is a master machinist and excellent Mechanic and his son and I worked on it those 3 years quite a few nights and most weekends.....IT WAS AS YOU CAN SEE IN HORRIBLE SHAPE!.The only parts we could salvage were the frame and engine, everything else was trashed! We Literally had to drag it from barn to truck everything was locked up!
and the $7K in parts I spent does NOT include an engine rebuild!!! We did however do a bunch of work to engine and rebuilt carbs and had to replace all gaskets and seals. the engine does smoke for a while when first started and bike has 69K miles on it!! so next on agenda is a rebuild for engine!
I think I have another "Before" pic I am gonna try and post!
Thanks again!

Ed:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help needed.

Can anyone help me finding out info on my bike by VIN and about engine by engine number, the bike is Honda VT600 (or should be ),
VIN is PC21-2204390 and the engine number is PC21E-2205249,
any help appreciated.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
What a difference! Jonah is beautiful! It is hard to believe that is the same bike. I'm sure that is a blast to ride. Any pictures of the resto work you did?? Great job Tennessee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am going to attempt to attach pics of before and after of the "Z" which I called Jonah,,as in brought back. The "Z" is Still Wicked fast even after 40 years!
Ed
Nice job TZ! Got me drooling, now what does that Mustang look like since then?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Thanks mooseye! ,Well.....sorry to say....the '65 Mustang was my cousins, he had so many projects going ( '50 Ford Pick Up, a Model "A" a Model "T" and a '36 Ford, an Old Gas pump and a couple Motorcycle projects) he decided the Mustang had to go....so he sold it..
Kinda made me sad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have restored quite a few pieces of antique machinery and the best I have found is #1 Stove Oil (heating oil). If you can't find that, diesel fuel works almost as good. Both are better than any penetrating oil on the market (and cheaper too!)
Hi,
I know this is old but worth a shot. How much Diesel should you use on a seized engine project per cylinder? It’s a CB900F

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,
I know this is old but worth a shot. How much Diesel should you use on a seized engine project per cylinder? It’s a CB900F
Depends on where the pistons are in each cylinder .
The idea is to submerge the rings .
Your cylinder block has a slight angle and if two of the pistons are at the top , they may only take half a cup , if that much .
Obviously the other two pistons will accept a lot more , but , don't go crazy . Remember :: just submerge the rings .

The 900F can be a fabulous bike . ;)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Hi,
Well that would really depend on how bad it is, but if it's seized why would you not just take it apart and service it properly instead of getting it going just long enough to grenade :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depends on where the pistons are in each cylinder .
The idea is to submerge the rings .
Your cylinder block has a slight angle and if two of the pistons are at the top , they may only take half a cup , if that much .
Obviously the other two pistons will accept a lot more , but , don't go crazy . Remember :: just submerge the rings .

The 900F can be a fabulous bike . ;)
That’s great info thank you. I get it now, obvious if you think about it, but as a noob to restoration I just don’t want to f**k anything up on the bike and getting help from guys like you helps put the fear to rest on what i’m about to do. I love the 900f, it was a million to one find really. lady has had it stored in a shed and backyard since 96! it’s an 82 F2, cosmetics are quite bad with rust but it’s all there (minus fairing of course)! I just hope internals are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well that would really depend on how bad it is, but if it's seized why would you not just take it apart and service it properly instead of getting it going just long enough to grenade :unsure:
Do you mean a full rebuild? advice I have is to see if it cranks before i do anything?

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,447 Posts
I agreee with @Trials, just remove the "top end". when they seiz, the steel rings usually rust and swell in the cylinder. Also this lets you check the cylinder condition as well. Replace the rings, and hone the cylinders, unless you have a really bad siez, then even getting it out is going to do damage.
the method you have been advised as you say is going to lead to engine failure...

Reactions: Trials

·
Registered
28 Posts
FYI : In order to remove the top end of the motor on a CB900F , the motor must be removed from the frame .
There have been a couple instances where guys have taken the topends off while in the frame , but it requires removal of all cylinders studs . That's not an easy task and not worth the effort , IMHO .

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI : In order to remove the top end of the motor on a CB900F , the motor must be removed from the frame .
There have been a couple instances where guys have taken the topends off while in the frame , but it requires removal of all cylinders studs . That's not an easy task and not worth the effort , IMHO .
Thanks for that, what’s your advice? just try and free the seizure with diesel/lubricant and try to get to run as is or replace the motor? it’s only on 23,000 miles. I will be removing motor from frame anyway as want it and the frame media blasted and re painted…..

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,447 Posts
Thanks for that, what’s your advice? just try and free the seizure with diesel/lubricant and try to get to run as is or replace the motor? it’s only on 23,000 miles. I will be removing motor from frame anyway as want it and the frame media blasted and re painted…..

two possabilities for a siezed motor...

1. its gotten moisture in the cylinders and rusted the rings. (not good)
2. or it has had some serious internal damage, and was locked up when under a load. (seriously not good)

Either one is not good and has serious repairs needed to prolong the life, anything short of opening it up to inspect it
is just going to make it worse. and in that case you might as well locate another engine.

So your looking at either "rust", and if freed up, the rust will score the cylinders and the softer aluminum pistonsm, rendering it junk.

Or you have a broken ring or rings or potentially some other componet failure, and if freed up, will also score the cylinders and pistons... I gues take your pick on opening it up, or a different engine??

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can try , but , I'd plan on removing the top end to be sure that all is copacetic .
Even if you find another motor there will be issues .
Better to deal with the devil you know . ;)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts