Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals. I sold my old Honda VT1100 and am in saving mode for my next bike. There is a 05 Honda VTX1800N available that has 15k miles. Bike is in great condition, ive test ridden it as well. I will be able to pick it up if I chose in about a week.

Ive been looking at Triumph motorcycles as well. I like the history and look of their bikes. My dilemma is do I get that Honda 1800 which is a great bike, or save for a few more months and get a newer Thunderbird or even a Rocket!?

Not sure what to do. -

·
8,574 Posts
The Thunderbird will disappoint you if you are expecting more power and acceleration than your VT1100. They also don't get very good fuel mileage as in 40 to 45 mpg. Dealerships are scarce. I had a new 2010 Triumph Scrambler so I know the score. Both have chains to clean, oil and adjust.

I also had a new 2003 Honda VTX 1800R. WOW and wow, what an engine. It ate a lot of gas, maybe because of the way I rode it as in 28 to 35 MPG. Very reliable and dealers are everywhere. No chain to mess with.

I bought a new 2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster last year and in many ways it is the ultimate bike because it does everything well---just watch your right wrist and tell it to behave! I get between 38 to 45 mpg because I baby the thing 99% of the time but the 6+ gallon tank helps. They have proven very reliable but there again, Dealerships are sort of scarce.

If the price was right, I'd get the VTX 1800:p

I love the area you live in and have been all over it! I especially like HWY 299 going towards the coast out of Redding, CA, where I have a bunch of relatives.

My wife and I had the Computer typesetting, graphics design and printing contract for the Sacramento Charter Psychiatric Hospital in Roseville, for many years and we'd drive in from Hemet, CA to service the account:icon_cool:

Whatever you get be super careful. On a powerful bike, things happen very quickly.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

That was an awesome response! Thanks Porky. I haven't ridden the Triumphs yet. There is a dealer in my city and they have quite a few new and some beautiful used ones.

I was surprised to hear the T-bird wouldn't much outperform my old Honda VT1100.

The VTX1800 was crazy powerful when I test drove it. The VTX has 15k miles (I turned it from 14 to 15k on my test ride). The price on it is reasonable at around 4500$

While perusing the Triumph forums, I was left with some unease about Rocket reliability. Given that my budget wouldn't allow for a new one, I'd be purchasing the unknown. Honda makes me feel safer in this area as far as upkeep/reliability.

The Triumphs are very good looking bikes though!!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The Honda is over ten years old but it hasn't been on the road long enough to go through much more then 3 oil changes. That's almost like buying a brand new bike!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds to me the VTX1800N would be the best choice for you at the moment with the power and price you are looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts