Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just joined any help much appreciated..37 years old just completed cbt test going for full A license soon.Bike experience history is motocross really cbr 125 then cr250 plenty of fun had.Want to get road bike for daily commute to work when weather permits and weekend fun etc.Doing my test on hornet 600 and to be honest i find it dull...needs reving to get going..not that i want to be flying but it is not there when u want it if you know what i mean.I cannot decide on what bike to get when test passed...dont fancy being bent over sportsbike are they really uncomfortable. Drawn towards muscle bikes like bandit xjr etc..understand they are heavy but im 5ft10 14 stone fit and healthy..but not sure of power thou!! Dont want to buy 600 bandit to sell a year later for 1200...but also do they handle like a bag of spanners!!bouncy weak brakes.Any owners feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.budget is 2k to 3k max.cheers all Gerry

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Gidday Gerry. 14 stone, 196 for the US folks, and 89 for the others.
The Suzuki 650 V twin is a good all round bike and does not cost a lot. Would be a good bike, to get you started on the motorways and twisties. Ride that for a while until you figure out how crazy the cage drivers are, and learn to handle all the distractions of the highways. Good plan to ride in the dirt first IMO.

UK

·
Registered
133 Posts
Doing my test on hornet 600 and to be honest i find it dull...needs reving to get going..not that i want to be flying but it is not there when u want it if you know what i mean.
Hornet 600 makes around 100 horses in old money. That should be enough to get you sent to prison.
Mid size four cylinder engines do need to be wound up to get the power out of them. If you want torque
at lower revs, you could try a bike with a bigger engine or one with fewer cylinders.
Have you considered a Triumph triple?

I cannot decide on what bike to get when test passed...dont fancy being bent over sportsbike are they really uncomfortable.
It depends on what you want to use them for. Something like a GSX-R 600/750/1000 is feather light
and massively powerful - great fun as a weekend toy, maybe not so great for long distance touring.

Drawn towards muscle bikes like bandit xjr etc..understand they are heavy but im 5ft10 14 stone fit and healthy..
Big naked road bikes or faired touring bikes tend to be heavy. This isn't really a problem, just a simple fact.
A 250-300kg bike is going to be less agile than a 180kg sportsbike.

Dont want to buy 600 bandit to sell a year later for 1200...
I have a Bandit 650SA K6. It certainly isn't lacking in performance. It makes enough power
to top 200kmh (125mph) and acceleration is quite brisk, although it doesn't have the manic speed
and acceleration of my old ZZR1100 which makes almost twice as much power.

but also do they handle like a bag of spanners!!bouncy weak brakes.
The Bandit 650 handles quite well and the brakes are excellent. My old ZZR also handles
well, but the brakes are poor and need frequent attention.

Any owners feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.budget is 2k to 3k max.cheers all Gerry
Get the licence first before you start worrying about buying a bike. There are so many good bikes
to choose from, I'm sure you will find something suitable.

Yamaha Fazer 600 or 1000. Kawasaki Z750 or Z1000. Any of the Triumph triples......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gidday Gerry. 14 stone, 196 for the US folks, and 89 for the others.
The Suzuki 650 V twin is a good all round bike and does not cost a lot. Would be a good bike, to get you started on the motorways and twisties. Ride that for a while until you figure out how crazy the cage drivers are, and learn to handle all the distractions of the highways. Good plan to ride in the dirt first IMO.

UK
Thanks Uncle krusty for suggestions i will check them out.ure right about caged drivers see it daily whilst driving van..its madness out there!! Main reason ive been riding dirt to be honest...u can be best rider in the world untill Auntie Mary decides to pull out at a junction and send u threw her window.thanks for advice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing my test on hornet 600 and to be honest i find it dull...needs reving to get going..not that i want to be flying but it is not there when u want it if you know what i mean.
Hornet 600 makes around 100 horses in old money. That should be enough to get you sent to prison.
Mid size four cylinder engines do need to be wound up to get the power out of them. If you want torque
at lower revs, you could try a bike with a bigger engine or one with fewer cylinders.
Have you considered a Triumph triple?

I cannot decide on what bike to get when test passed...dont fancy being bent over sportsbike are they really uncomfortable.
It depends on what you want to use them for. Something like a GSX-R 600/750/1000 is feather light
and massively powerful - great fun as a weekend toy, maybe not so great for long distance touring.

Drawn towards muscle bikes like bandit xjr etc..understand they are heavy but im 5ft10 14 stone fit and healthy..
Big naked road bikes or faired touring bikes tend to be heavy. This isn't really a problem, just a simple fact.
A 250-300kg bike is going to be less agile than a 180kg sportsbike.

Dont want to buy 600 bandit to sell a year later for 1200...
I have a Bandit 650SA K6. It certainly isn't lacking in performance. It makes enough power
to top 200kmh (125mph) and acceleration is quite brisk, although it doesn't have the manic speed
and acceleration of my old ZZR1100 which makes almost twice as much power.

but also do they handle like a bag of spanners!!bouncy weak brakes.
The Bandit 650 handles quite well and the brakes are excellent. My old ZZR also handles
well, but the brakes are poor and need frequent attention.

Any owners feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.budget is 2k to 3k max.cheers all Gerry
Get the licence first before you start worrying about buying a bike. There are so many good bikes
to choose from, I'm sure you will find something suitable.

Yamaha Fazer 600 or 1000. Kawasaki Z750 or Z1000. Any of the Triumph triples......
Thanks for reply great info..yea you are right ill plug away get test then worry about which bike to get..but bandit 650 or fazer might be way to go..thanks for suggestions appreciate it.cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts