Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is selling his 89' CBR600f Hurricane that he fixed up. Its in the same style as this one below...

He has an asking price of $1500. I'm 21 and this would be my first bike. I've read tons of forums with riders saying starting out on a sport 600 is an awful decision because of the unforgiveness of the bike, gittery throttle and really good brakes. I was wondering if that only pertained to newer sport 600's and if an older 89' CBR600f would actually be a good starter bike?

Thanks for the replies!!

·
Banned
685 Posts
I wouldn't recommend one as a motorcycle to learn on. There are a lot of more forgiving choices out there.
And especially not one that has been "stripped down".
Non-stock bikes are hard to fix when something goes wrong, often for shops too.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The streetfighter look is pretty cool, but remember why most of them ended up that way... The riders crashed them out when they screwed up with the power the bikes have. That old Honda still was rated at 86 hp and about 136 mph. That's about 25-30 hp more than the average young new rider can sensibly ride... thus the stripped down streetfighters.

You may consider a lower hp bike to start, unless you have two things - some riding experience of some kind (aka off roading) and a sense of self preservation that most 21 year olds are missing.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Nice thing about a streetfighter is that there's no expensive plastics to replace if you drop it. That said, as mentioned, it's a streetfighter for a reason so you'll want to find out what happened to it to move it that way.

You're looking at a very reactive bike. It will respond quickly and potentially violently to inputs. Should you buy it? Yes. No. Maybe so. It's a pick I probably wouldn't make.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going to give the advice you might not want to hear but I hope you listen to it. Sure you can buy that 600 and learn on it but I can tell you now it's not going to be the best experience and richest riding experience. That's not because it lacks in performance in someway quite the opposite . No newbie rider no matter what theyve ridden before interms of offroad experice save possibly a cr 500, no matter how confident they think they are can handle a CBR 600 to even 60% of its capability. Its a bike ideally as a 3rd maybe 2nd bike not 1st.

I guarantee that a 250 will be just as fun as that CBR and you'll be much better off becuase you can push that 250 farther and farther as you get your confidence and practice. It's a lot more fun to ride a bike you can get close to its ability than ride a bike that has way more ability than you'll be using any time soon . Buy a 250 ride it for season or 2 sell it then move on. The bike will be cheaper insurance will be cheaper gas will be cheaper you'll learn faster and get better technique.

·
10,756 Posts
The streetfighter look is pretty cool, but remember why most of them ended up that way... The riders crashed them out when they screwed up with the power the bikes have. That old Honda still was rated at 86 hp and about 136 mph. That's about 25-30 hp more than the average young new rider can sensibly ride... thus the stripped down streetfighters.

You may consider a lower hp bike to start, unless you have two things - some riding experience of some kind (aka off roading) and a sense of self preservation that most 21 year olds are missing.
This was my thought on a stripped down bike as well. They are stripped down, following a crash. That being said, this actually looks good. Still, not a beginer bike.

·
Banned
685 Posts
This was my thought on a stripped down bike as well. They are stripped down, following a crash.
I am constantly surprised by the number of people who take relatively new bikes in good condition and purposely turn them into a piece of ****.

If it starts out in the junk yard, that's one thing but I never will understand ruining a perfectly good bike.

·
On The Road Again!
3,996 Posts
No fenders? You're going to get filthy riding it that way.
Front wheel is going throw everything up into the
slipstream where it will get blown in your face.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I am constantly surprised by the number of people who take relatively new bikes in good condition and purposely turn them into a piece of ****.

If it starts out in the junk yard, that's one thing but I never will understand ruining a perfectly good bike.
You ever price out the fairing panels for a sportbike? If every panel is damaged and the bike is old enough it is a total.

A good job on a streetfighter can look way cool. It is the new age cafe. Take a look at Eric Bostrom's bike in the current Cycle World. Granted it started as a Z1000, but Cycle World did a CBR900 in yellow several years back. Looked great.

It doesn't ruin a perfectly good bike any more than bolting on a bunch of chrome, windshield, and bags does a cruiser or a standard. Unless the job is hacked. It's all in the application.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
No fenders? You're going to get filthy riding it that way.
Front wheel is going throw everything up into the
slipstream where it will get blown in your face.
I remember that specific bike from either here or another forum. It was still in process. No doubt the fender, seat body panels and such will end up there. I don't think they planned on doing the fairing though. I could be mistaken, but I think that was the case.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I had the exact same bike as my first bike. It won't have much power and is heavy. Honestly, you would do better with a newer 250 thats in better shape. Fixing **** on that bike was what brought me to this forum in the first place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts