Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adjusted the chain on the XS400, a rare event. Hard to see those silly marks to line up the axle. Counted back the number of half turns. Side and center stands get in the way of a straight each. Out with the string. Checked the alignment, then checked the marks after cleaning a bit and torch in hand.

Stupid crossover pipe has been leaking. Fixed with flexible pipe / hose. It blew out. Took pipes off, ground of offending pieces, made caps, took to muffler shop for welding. All good. No loss of bottom end power, seems even better. Will do a freeway run on Thursday.

The bike shop had a lot of stuff discounted and put on display. I bought a new tank bag for Deep Purple.

UK

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
Adjusted the chain on the XS400, a rare event. Hard to see those silly marks to line up the axle. Counted back the number of half turns. Side and center stands get in the way of a straight each. Out with the string. Checked the alignment, then checked the marks after cleaning a bit and torch in hand.
Are the alignment marks true? Turns out they weren't on my first bike (and the only one I've ever owned that had a chain), a '78 Suzuki GS550. At the time I didn't know about measuring with a string or some such, and as a result I wore out chains and sprockets at an alarming rate.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used to be the marks were often not accurate. I never trusted them. Newer bikes should be better. I used them on my 006 Suzuki. My other bikes have drive shafts. Will check the Triumph next spring when I put on a new rear tyre.

UK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts