Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch cable used to engage halfway when clutch lever let out. Now after 2500 miles since purchase (8k total), it engages like the last inch.
I just now adjusted to round knob and the corresponding collar nut and now it engages in the middle. I gave it a very quick ride and it seems ok.
We'll see.

Two questiions though...the little collar nut, whatever it's called, has a splice through it. Is that intentional or is that a defect? See photo please.
Also, I can see why specs are important for lots of things like spark plug gaps and so forth but how much do they matter for clutch cable tension?
Don't you just sort of play with it until it fits your hand and has enough play in both directions?

Thanks everyone...this is a 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 btw

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
The nut with the splice showing in the pic is the adjustment nut. The bigger diameter nut next to it is the lock nut that keeps the adjustment nut from moving. The lock nut also has a splice in it (can't see it in the pic), you have to align the 2 splices up when ever you remove or install another cable.
The proper adjustment is not made for personal comfort. It is needed so that it is tight enough to activate the clutch, but not too tight to cause the clutch to slip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nut with the splice showing in the pic is the adjustment nut. The bigger diameter nut next to it is the lock nut that keeps the adjustment nut from moving. The lock nut also has a splice in it (can't see it in the pic), you have to align the 2 splices up when ever you remove or install another cable.
The proper adjustment is not made for personal comfort. It is needed so that it is tight enough to activate the clutch, but not too tight to cause the clutch to slip.
Ah ok thanks. I was going to head to the Honda dealership to get a nut with no splice in it!! :)
Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts