1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
746 Posts
That really depends on your bike, your experience level, the condition of the roads you will be riding, and how big and strong you are. Since we don't know any of that, I'd encourage you to go to the new member introductions forum and make a formal hello.

I ride a big and heavy BMW sport touring bike and have tens of thousands of miles of experience in all kinds of weather. 20mph wind doesn't bother me much. When I first started riding, on a Suzuki 550, 20mph wind was kind of scary.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've never had an issue riding in 20 mph winds on any of the bikes I have owned or ridden. 35-50 mph winds it may get a bit dicey! Relax and have fun and enjoy the commute. If a gust moves the bike a bit, relax and let the bike do what it does best, stabilize, make small corrections if any. One little caution, when coming to a full stop, right at the point you are putting your foot down, expect a gust to disturb the balance, just relax and plant you foot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never had an issue riding in 20 mph winds on any of the bikes I have owned or ridden. 35-50 mph winds it may get a bit dicey! Relax and have fun and enjoy the commute. If a gust moves the bike a bit, relax and let the bike do what it does best, stabilize, make small corrections if any. One little caution, when coming to a full stop, right at the point you are putting your foot down, expect a gust to disturb the balance, just relax and plant you foot.
Sounds good

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
35-50 mph winds it may get a bit dicey!
I rode back from Midland/Odessa Texas a few years ago in one their west Texas dust storms. 45mph winds with gusts to 65mph according to the local news when I got home after down 3 beers about as fast as I could. Dicey is putting it mildly.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
665 Posts
I rode back from Midland/Odessa Texas a few years ago in one their west Texas dust storms. 45mph winds with gusts to 65mph according to the local news when I got home after down 3 beers about as fast as I could. Dicey is putting it mildly.
Dust is not fun. Down south from here they have the blinding dust storms, high winds and heavy dust reducing visibility to a few feet. At that point it is time to pull over, kill the lights and sit it out.

Up here further north in Arizona during the monsoon we have high winds mixed with hail, then sleet, then heavy downpoor rain. It's a bit tricky, sometimes doable with misery, other times it's just best to hold off and take a break. During the hail and sleet portion it can get a bit blinding not to mention the sting of hail. At any rate I understand your need for downing 3 beers!

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
301 Posts
I've only had one time the wind seemed strong. Ii just slowed down a little bit. I the old days, I got behind a dump truck of sand. Felt like it was peeling skin. I just stopped and let it get way ahead.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Experience. I shot the video below the second day when I purchased my moto, with zero long distance experience, zero high cc experience, zero windy weather experience, zero wet road experience. I was not even able to control it properly or manage to go properly in my lane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts