Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....Riding home from work yesterday, I noticed that when I moved out in first gear I was hearing a strange clicking sound. It seemed to me like the sound when switching gears. The bike made little herky jerky moves as this was happening. Same thing when I was slowing down. The sound was definately coming from the back of the bike. I got a little worried and pulled into a gas station. I checked all the wires and chain, not knowing exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to see if anything looked out of the ordinary. I figetted with the wires. Lo and behold, when I left the gas station(about 2 miles from home) I didn't have the problem....Any ideas of what this could be?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Well, it could be a lot of things. What kind of bike is this?

Not a bad idea to give the bike a good look-over when you have a chance. How is the clutch cable?

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
Wheel bearing? All your oil levels where they should be? That's chain and not drive-shaft correct?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
a rock in the tire?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2010 g650gs cmonstart. It's about time to have it serviced anyway before the weather breaks for us riders. Thanks to you all for your responses.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked over the bike this morning and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I rode around the block and something is not right. It's definitely coming from the back of the bike. Does motorcycles make any noise if the chain needs adjusting?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the teeth on the sprocket are worn away to nothing, it can start slipping - have you changed chain and sprockets?

*edit - no offence intended, this is something I learned from experience in the early days

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
Something rubbing in the brake rotor?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Donny thanks for the knowledge. I brought the bike with 5000k and now have 17000k in two years. I ride year round. Should the chain or sprocket be changed by now? I don't have a clue but I can check the sprocket. I cleaned and lubed the chain a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice anything. That was before the trouble started.
Hi Critter. I do believe it's that's a good possibility. It's definately something back near the wheel or brake. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My new bike mechanic checked the chain and sprocket for me couple of days ago. Had a service done. He said that I'll need new tires at about 2-3k, so get everything done at once. This guy has an excellent shop and seems very skilled. He test rode the bike to listen and feel it out before he did anything. I think that was really cool. He had at least 20 Beemers in his shop, and BMW's are what he specializes in. I had a 12k service done (without valve checks) for a whopping $130 bucks. The dealers price for the same thing was quoted at a little over $500. That's one hell-of-a price difference. It was a 50 mile ride to the shop but well worth it. Bikes running great.

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
I had a 12k service done (without valve checks) for a whopping $130 bucks. The dealers price for the same thing was quoted at a little over $500. That's one hell-of-a price difference. It was a 50 mile ride to the shop but well worth it.
I'd still be on my Beemer if I could have found someone like that. But you live in that junk and I live in God's country. I'll take my bumps!:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts