Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I am a newbie to bikes and not sure what I got myself into. Looking forward to and advice from the Gurus.
I have received a 2009 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom from my Uncle. According to him, the bike was parked in his covered apartment parking lot in Houston for a Year. I towed it to my place and had someone come to my house to fix it. He cleaned the gas tank as well as the carburetor. I rode the bike for 30 minutes and then parked it. Next morning it never started. I killed the battery trying to start it. The guy came back and said I need to fill up the tank and put a bottle of seafoam and the ride it. That is what I did when he started the bike second time. I rode it for 20 miles on the Freeway hoping this will clear the carb. Parked it and it never started next morning. Every time I crank it, it starts for 2 seconds and then die and then never starts. The only way to start it is to pull it behind my truck with the rope in the second gear. It takes good 250 feet before it starts. I have to turn the gas half way few times during the pull and then let go of the gas. This eventually starts it up. After parking for 3-4 hours. It won't start again and I have to pull it behind the truck again. I am so frustrated at this point that I want to pull it behind my truck to the nearest Bayou. The estimates to just bring the bike to the shop for carburetor check-up is upwards of $500.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Most likely the carbs needs to be cleaned thoroughly. If it sat that long with fuel in them, then they're lacquered up and probably needs a better cleaning.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
Are you using the choke to start it? Vstar's are notoriously cold natured.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Do you suggest I take it to the Shop and pay them $500+ to clean it as this is what they have quoted me or is there a cheaper alternative?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to choke few times but that does not help either. It seems to me that choking makes it worst. The trick which has worked for me so far is to pull it behind my truck and turn the accelerator halfway couple of time. I think doing this fills up the carb or something since it starts while I am pulling it in second gear without any accelerator. Once it starts for few seconds then I can accelerate it normally.

Thanks.

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
Since it didn't cost you a dime, take it to a good shop. Get it right at least once before you let the shade tree mechanic work on it. Today's fuels just plain ruin good engines within two weeks sometimes. The stuff is that bad. And before you pick the bike up and pay them, demand you see it start stone cold and after the amount of time you are now letting it sit. Put your hand on the engine to prove it's cold and not warm. Make them do the job correctly in other words. $500 would be a cheap price for a good running bike. Right now you are risking ruining the bike with your rope trick. Just let a professional get it correct at least once. After that whether it continues to run is all on you. Ride it and keep good fuel in it. This time of year you might also want to put a fuel stabilizer in it if there is a chance it might sit for several weeks. A weekly ride of at least 20 miles but more is better will keep it running just fine. But put it away with a full tank. This will help but not stop moisture from forming. An air gap invites moisture. How often you ride is key with the fuel we are now forced to live with. Good luck. This is all assuming your uncle gave you a good running bike to begin with and not some butchered sorta runs bike.

·
Registered
879 Posts
If you take it to a dealer to have it done, then you will end up paying the maximum rate. If you don't think you could do it yourself, try to find an independent bike repair shop, their rates are usually always better. Cleaning carbs is something that they all deal with on a regular basis, so it doesn't necessarily have to go to the dealer.

·
6,504 Posts
Seafoam is good but not 'strong' enough to clean your carb's in a short 20 mile ride. Buy some Chevron TECHRON and put half a can in the tank and ride the:smile_big: tar out of it, as in rev it highly as you go through the gears and hopefully the cleaner will do it's trick.

If that doesn't work then do as Hog Cowboy suggested and have the Major tuneup with carb rebuild done at the dealer.

Sam

·
Registered
123 Posts
Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in. heres a link to a vstar forum. the carb don't have an accelerator pump so twisting the throttle does nothing.however when towing the bike i would guess vacumn would pull in fuel.
Also i think it applies to the 650.. never give it throttle when starting the bike normally it advances the timing causes kickback and can ruin the starter clutch.$700.00 repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts