Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1985 CB650SC Nighthawk of which the LCD gear and fuel displays are badly faded. I have asked on the forum once or twice if anyone has a fix but have not had any response.

But this is where it gets strange...

I took the bike for a ride this weekend and - like magic, the display is working perfect! Crisp and clear. All proper function. I show my girl friend that its working perfect...

She tells me it looks the exact same as before...

I take off my sun glasses (prescription) and the display totally goes away...

Sun glasses on, display clearly visible
No sunglasses, nothing.

I am assuming it has something to do with the polarizing propties of the sunglasses?

Anyone heard of a polarzing strip I can add over the LCD display so I can always see it? or know anything about optics? Or am i just slowly going insane?!?! :confused:

Thanks for any and all advice,
Cheers,

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
If it is indeed the polarizing effect, if your tilt you head from one side to other with the glasses on you should see it fade away. You may be getting glare then that is blinding you unless you have the glasses on. Have you looked at it at night?

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
LCD displays work by polarizing screens - are you sure your top screen cover hasn't gone missing?
You should be able to find sheets of polarizing material at camera/photo shops, if there are any left that carry it. It is NOT inexpensive. You may be able to search in photo supplies online.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
WintrSol said:
LCD displays work by polarizing screens
Ya know..I didn't know that and I made the art work for the micro circuitry doing all the magic going on there. Of course that was back in the 60's. I thought they was still in research back then though. I maybe thinking another technology. Too darn many years ago. I never questioned how the stuff actually worked though. I was doing good to understand the process of making the artwork for all those micro circuits and switches. That in itself was amazing to me.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Liquid Crystal Displays didn't have any illumination until about 1982-3. They finally decided the backlight drew too many amps for the technology it was lighting... I think they were static magnetic... thin slices of shaped quartz, suspended in an opaque oil matrix, when charged, displaced the oil, and adhered to the face, displaying themselves as digital numeral or alphanumeric letters. But 80 looks like BO and so it you are riding fast you stink....I heard those polarizing screens help, and yeah, it would be nearly impossible to replace(not to mention pricy)

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Not exactly correct - liquid crystals are fine crystals, embedded in a thick liquid, but they are lined up by an electric field, and they polarize light. Put a sheet of polarized plastic over them, and they let light pass when they line up the same, block light when the crystals turn 90 degrees from a field in a different direction. That's why they are hard to read when wearing polarized glasses (unless the polarized sheet is missing).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts