Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out how to straighten the handlebars on my 09 Heritage Softail Classic. Bike took a low speed spill awhile back and now the handlebars appear to steer to the right just a bit. Bike seems to ride straight, I just can't figure out how to get them aligned back to normal. I've worked maintenance and engineering for many years so I'm pretty mechanically inclined which is making this issue that much more frustrating. I should be able to pinpoint the solution by eyesight but can't. Granted I haven't had the time to really break down the entire front end I just figured I would be able to at least figure out how to fix it without tearing too much apart. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
From the picture it looks like your risers are out of alignment, with the right one being further back. Or the left further forward. They're mounted on rubber bushings and they do flex a little, but those look crooked.

One thing you can do to find your problem is to tape a straight edge, such as a yard stick, so it lays across your fork tubes parallel to the front axle. Then take another straight edge and, while looking down form the approximate view in the picture, hold it against the risers and various places on the bars. When you look down and see the two edges are no longer parallel that will be where your problem is.

If it's the handlebars themselves the best way to straighten them is to take them completely off the bike and lay them on a flat surface. That will allow you to decide where to bend them at to get them straight again. Clamping them in a padded vise and bending them by arm strength usually works well. Sometimes a notched 2x4 can be contrived to give you extra leverage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch Eye_m_no_angel! Second time you've provided me with good advice. I'll be sure to do just that and hopefully get this ol girl repaired and back in perfect condition in time for the 115th here in Milwaukee! Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts