Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
It's getting cold out here and I'd like to store my bike for the winter. I live in an apartment and I was wondering if it was possible to store my bike inside my living room. Has anyone ever done this? If so, what steps would you recommend? I'm familiar with basic outdoor or garage storage steps: Change oil, Top off fuel tank, add stabilizer, etc. But if I'm storing this inside in a heated environment I plan to live in, could I drain the fuel tank? I'm worried about fumes and general safety. But I think it would look pretty sweet in the living room, so I hope this can work.

Thanks in advance!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It's probably safest to remove the fuel tank and store it where fumes won't accumulate. Keeping it full of fuel makes it unlikely to rust.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
^^^^ That's probably the best idea: Take off the tank, (drain the carburetors too,) fill the tank to the brim and store it some place safe.

I've parked a bike in an apartment, but never for a whole Winter. No matter how careful you are you'll likely get a smell of gas, rubber, and oil. I liked it when I was younger and single, and still do in the garage, but it can get over powering in a small space. Guests and anyone else that happens to live with you might not like it either.

I have known a few fellows that kept bikes in their houses more or less full time, like a display or some such, and the one I thought to ask about it had blown out and dried the tanks.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Why?

I lived in Northern Michigan, and had 2 Harleys stowed in an enclosed trailer in the back yard for 5-6 months a year, saw temps below -20 and in the spring, they were ready to go.

Biggest thing is change the fluids, top off the tank, and keep the battery on a tender, leave it right on the bike, won't hurt a thing.

Not to mention your lease probably has something in it about flammable and combustible fluids....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an 81 CM400 with rust on it already. I bought it to restore it, but I actually really like the look of how it has rusted. It has a mad max vintage look to it. Almost like Daryl's bike from the Walking Dead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts