Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to leave town on a work trip for 3-5 months. I'll be leaving my bike in my garage and I can get my roommate to turn it on and run the engine for me once or twice a week. I know this will be good for battery charge and oil turnover, but will that solution be good enough to keep the carbs/fuel system in good working order if it's the same gas sitting in the tank for that whole period? My roommate doesn't ride and is not mechanically savvy, so I can't count on him to do much other than turn it on and run it. I will be leaving him with an empty gas can in case the bike ever needs fresh gas while I'm gone, anything else I can/should do?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
Use a gas preservative, and a battery tender. Change the oil before you go.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Critter said it right. Use something like Sta-bil in the fuel tank and place the battery on a tender, not a trickle charger. When you return is soon enough for the next start. You do not want to run the engine for short periods and let combustion byproducts, read that as acids, build up in your oil without the engine getting hot enough to boil them off. You can get a proper tender at any bike dealer for about $30 to $40. Depending on where you live you might even find one at a place like Walmart for slightly less.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Bears repeating: do NOT have your roommate start it, if he's not also going to ride it for more than 5 miles.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Add Stabil or Seafoam to the gas tank, fill the tank as full as possible, run the engine for a few minutes to make sure the stabilized fuel is in the fuel system, put a tender on the battery and leave it sit. It's best to store with clean, unused oil.

You might want to wipe the bodywork down with a coat of Pledge to make it easy to remove any accumulated dust.

Starting it up periodically will do more harm than good.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Use a gas preservative, and a battery tender. Change the oil before you go.

++++1

and if you have rodents in your world, put some steel wool in the exhaust pipes so they won't build a nest in there!!

Doing the oil change BEFORE you store it, -vs- AFTER is a debatable topic, but certainly you SHOULD change your oil, (and filter if it's dirty) either way.

-Soupy

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks, didn't know that...so you guys are saying I just need to dump some fuel stabilizer into the tank and it will be good to sit for that many months? Even the fuel collecting in the carb won't be a problem if I do that? I was always told one had to drain everything including the carbs if storing the bike for that long, which I may not have time to do before I go so I'm mainly trying to find a way to save myself from having to do that. (Btw I will probably have a break sometime in Feb when I'll be able to come home and ride it for a bit)
I did change the oil yesterday, the only riding I did with the new oil was home from the shop (about 4 miles), and I'll be sure to put fresh gas in it before I go.

Incidentally this may all be moot anyway, I might have found a friend who rides who has agreed to keep the bike in her garage and take care of it and give it a ride every now and then while I'm gone, but just in case that doesn't work out I need to know what to do.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes using fuel stabilizer, like Stabil, will keep your fuel "good" for up to 12 months according to this website

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer

The problem with the alternative of trying to drain out all the fuel is, you almost never get ALL the fuel out.. And even if you do get all the fuel out, your tank is now empty & might be prone to rusting inside(?)

IMO 3-5 month storage is not a very long time especially if the bike is stored indoors. Stabilize the fuel, FILL the gas tank full, change the oil so it's fresh, prop up the bike up to get most of the weight off the tires, and you're done :) I wouldn't even bother with a battery tender.. I disconnect the battery, then when the bike comes out of storage I put a charger on the battery to top it up & away I go.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
After adding the Stabil or equivalent I would ride the bike for at least 10 miles just to make sure any fuel in the carbs has been treated. Shut off the fuel petcock and let it run out of gas to minimize any fuel issues in the carbs themselves.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
After adding the Stabil or equivalent I would ride the bike for at least 10 miles just to make sure any fuel in the carbs has been treated. Shut off the fuel petcock and let it run out of gas to minimize any fuel issues in the carbs themselves.
Or, drain the carbs, then let them fill with treated gas.:)

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Draining the carbs can be done or not done. When we winterize the motorcycles at work, (about 400 of them) we fill them full of stabilized fuel and run the engines until they are warm, then shut off the fuel until carbs are empty. Running until dry allows the engine to warm up for an oil change and service.

On my personal motorcycles I simply add stabilizer and take a ride to the gas station to mix and top off the tank. My current motorcycle is fuel injected, but the same principle applies to a great extent.

Either way produces trouble-free start-ups in the spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts