Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bad and improperly stored my Honda Cb1 for 10 months and now it won't rev/start. It turns on after being on a battery charger, but when i turn the throttle, it won't start... HELP Do I just need to clean the carbs? It was working completely find before I left it storage.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
When you say it turns on, you mean it starts right? Are you leaving the charger connected while trying to give it gas? I would suggest replacing your battery as it seems to be shot and then go from there. What year is your bike also?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It's a 1989 Honda CB-1. The battery is fully charged. I turn the key, press start it makes a noise but the engine doesn't rev/run. Do you think it is a plugged carb issue? It was running perfect before I stored it.

·
10,763 Posts
The motor will not even turn over? Is this a 4 stroke engine? If so change the oil and pull out the spark plug and see if it spins at all. Some times gas from the tank will leak into the engine and fill it. It will not turn because it can not compress the liquid.

·
Ninja Robot
1,825 Posts
When you hit the start switch does it make any kind of noise or is it silent.

Can you try and push start it?

I think either your battery is shot or your starter isn't working properly, check the connections going to the starter make sure they aren't loose.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
if it doesn't spin at all I'd say first pull the plugs and crank it, if it doesn't spin with the plugs pulled try to turn it over by hand, if it turns by hand but not with the starter, change the battery, if that doesn't work check the starter. That should keep you busy for the night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for this info!!!! Looks like the floats are not align. It starts when I jump start it not with a tender but more amps from a car jump car. Once that happened, the engine roared. I rode it around for 5 miles, but the gas it leaking :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
We are having all kinds of problems with the Obama EPA, mandated, ethanol gasoline blends.

1. Deteriorated fuel lines
2. Electric fuel pumps frozen up
3. Separation of fuel/water in the fuel tank( if set idle for more than 90 days)
4. Fuel tanks rusting on the inside
5. Inability to adjust small engines carburetors (chainsaws, etc)

You may have a fuel issue.

And it is only getting worse.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
We are having all kinds of problems with the Obama EPA, mandated, ethanol gasoline blends.

1. Deteriorated fuel lines
2. Electric fuel pumps frozen up
3. Separation of fuel/water in the fuel tank( if set idle for more than 90 days)
4. Fuel tanks rusting on the inside
5. Inability to adjust small engines carburetors (chainsaws, etc)

You may have a fuel issue.

And it is only getting worse.
Actually that was during Bush

·
Ninja Robot
1,825 Posts
Actually that was during Bush
Actually you are both wrong. There is no federal mandate for gasoline to contain any ethanol. Nationwide only about 20% of gas stations e-10 free and that is a dwindling number, but it has nothing to do with the federal govt. Some states have mandated it though.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
Thanks robow - I'm not a fan of any political figure, but I don't like people blaming everything on the Pres because they don't like what's goin' on.

OK - Back to helping the OP...Did you find anything new?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Actually you are both wrong. There is no federal mandate for gasoline to contain any ethanol. Nationwide only about 20% of gas stations e-10 free and that is a dwindling number, but it has nothing to do with the federal govt. Some states have mandated it though.
Yeah, but it still started during the Bush administration:71baldboy:

·
Ninja Robot
1,825 Posts
Yeah, but it still started during the Bush administration:71baldboy:
Henry Ford's first vehicle was designed to run on pure ethanol, that was at the turn of the century.

In 1975 the phase out of lead in gasoline began. Shortly after ethanol was introduced as an additive to help meet the clean air act requirements.

In the early 2000's E10 became popular because of the false notion that it would reduce US dependence on foreign oil, and that it was cleaner.

E10 has nothing to do with any president, it is the fault of the misinformed public.

Your logic makes no sense, just because Bush was in office doesn't make him at fault for it. That would be like blaming FDR for the increased suicide during the great depression.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts