Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one take their bike to their dealer for winter storage? I used to, the cost wasn't bad and they took good care of it. Problem was I had to have it in by a certain date and could not get it back till the official date of Spring was well past. That was not good, I felt I lost a lot of good riding days.. Now it's kept in an office at an airplane hanger with temp controls. It's available whenever I need it......

Anyone do the same?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I keep one bike in a nice little enclosed trailer and the other in the shop under a cover. When a nice day comes along, they're ready to ride, like this afternoon, might hit 60 degrees. :)

It would be nice to keep them in a nice, clean, climate controlled building but I'm afraid the wife would complain too much.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Mine are kept in my shop, where I can work on them to get them ready for next year.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I am currently rebuilding my sheds. Used to be 11 X 14 with a gravel floor. Will soon be 2 sheds 10 X 10.5 inside measurement, with concrete floors and insulation. 3 bikes will fill one shed, which will also have a shelf 24 inches wide and 10 feet long. The other shed will have the same shelf, a bunch of tools and things like the compressor and drill press, and one bike.
The sheds will be heated to just above the dew point. Maybe 45 to 50.

Yami and Inder the side car will be under cover. Same for the spare parts bikes, and Pushrod the Trail 90.

UK

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am currently rebuilding my sheds. Used to be 11 X 14 with a gravel floor. Will soon be 2 sheds 10 X 10.5 inside measurement, with concrete floors and insulation. 3 bikes will fill one shed, which will also have a shelf 24 inches wide and 10 feet long. The other shed will have the same shelf, a bunch of tools and things like the compressor and drill press, and one bike.
The sheds will be heated to just above the dew point. Maybe 45 to 50.

Yami and Inder the side car will be under cover. Same for the spare parts bikes, and Pushrod the Trail 90.

UK
Question for you UK. When I had my race car and I had a home as well, I kept the car parked on sheets of plywood because the dampness from the concrete seemed to cause corrosion problems with wiring and that car always had a damp feel to it. Wondering what your thoughts on that might be.

Currently my bike is parked on concrete and the bike sits on a piece of carpet and the room is climate controlled, so I'm not worried about that. In my garage there was no heat.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it I'm in Florida, no need to put away into storage with 365 days of riding available. When not riding the bikes & scooters they're kept in a motorcycle room and the garage.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I never considered doing it myself, but known a lot of people whom did it and had the yearly service done at the same time. I never could afford to do it before and now that I can afford it, I don't trust letting it out of my sight that long to someone else.

-BK

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Nope, I always keep mine available in case of nice weather. Usually even in snowy Pennsylvania and icy New jersey I get to ride a couple of times each month over the winter.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I have a two car attached garage which I use for one car plus my motorcycle and my scooter. The other car sits out in the elements. While I don't do any work on my motorcycle I do have it ready on a few minutes notice should we suddenly have a nice day in the middle of the winter season. I add Stabil to both the motorcycle and the scooter, hook them up to separate Battery Tenders, and throw a cover over each of them. Takes only a minute or so to get them ready to ride once I check the tire pressures. I've been doing this for the last 30 years or so and have never had a problem with the bike being directly on a concrete floor of a garage. If I didn't have a garage, I would consider renting a storage unit rather than storing the bike at a dealer just so that I could have ready access if I had a chance to ride.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Any one take their bike to their dealer for winter storage? I used to, the cost wasn't bad and they took good care of it. Problem was I had to have it in by a certain date and could not get it back till the official date of Spring was well past. That was not good, I felt I lost a lot of good riding days.. Now it's kept in an office at an airplane hanger with temp controls. It's available whenever I need it......

Anyone do the same?
I was thinking about doing it. My local dealer charges $99/month for it which seems a little high to me but I'm in the Wash, DC area so I guess that's what people are willing to pay.

But the winters here are relatively mild and it's not uncommon to see days in the 50s/60s in Dec/Jan so I keep my bike parked outside and ride through the entire winter. If it's above 35/37 I'm fine but once it gets below that I have a hard time keeping my fingertips warm.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Question for you UK. When I had my race car and I had a home as well, I kept the car parked on sheets of plywood because the dampness from the concrete seemed to cause corrosion problems with wiring and that car always had a damp feel to it. Wondering what your thoughts on that might be.

Currently my bike is parked on concrete and the bike sits on a piece of carpet and the room is climate controlled, so I'm not worried about that. In my garage there was no heat.
I think your reasoning is correct.
My bikes will be on a concrete floor. I put plastic under the concrete to prevent it sucking up moisture. I will monitor it this winter for dampness. If there is any dampness, the floor covering would need to be porous / breathable, to not trap moisture between the two.
I will not be using much heat, just enough to keep it around 45.

I have one 12 X 12 slab poured. Hope to have the other slab done this week. One week to allow the concrete to harden, then move the old shed on rollers. Probably take most of November or more, to get them finished.

UK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts