Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When coming to a stop such as a stop sign or something, do you always need to shift down into first before accelerating from the stop? Or can you still pull in the clutch and get going again from 2nd gear?

·
Registered
809 Posts
My bike will move from a stop in 2nd gear, no problem, but I don't like to come that close to lugging the engine... and if something happens, I want to be able to move QUICKLY out of harm's way - especially at intersections.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
To train them on the friction zone in autos, I had both daughters start from stopped in third, but only during the first few lessons, so you CAN start out in any gear. I don't recommend anything but first for normal driving, unless there is a problem getting to it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Shouldn't hurt anything. Depends on how steep your 2nd gear ratio is but I do that myself sometimes.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
When coming to a stop such as a stop sign or something, do you always need to shift down into first before accelerating from the stop? Or can you still pull in the clutch and get going again from 2nd gear?

Size of the bike is probably a factor, but yes you typically can. Although you need a LOT more throttle to do it, making the value in it questionable.

·
Nightfly
4,414 Posts

It is that much extra effort for you to downshift into 1st gear? Technically you can get moving in any gear, as long as you don't mind beating up the clutch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the bike plays a part in it, I have a 2004 ninja 250r. Should I bother going down to first if I can just go from second? I've only been riding about a week or two. Thanks for all the help so far guys I appreciate it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And it's not really a question of effort, I was just curious if there are any negatives of doing so

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I'll take the "Legal" road and say absolutely not. Functionally, yes perhaps, if you have enough momentum, (although I agree that it would be too hard on the bike).

"Legally," you MUST stop the revolutions of your wheels, and put a foot down. I have been stopped and given a warning in the past by a PO for NOT having done so.

Always a good idea to practice responsible motorcycling. If not for your OWN sake, then for the reputation you leave behind for ALL bikers out there.

Truly we are indeed, ALL responsible for ALL who ride!

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I've started in 2nd gear, but never on purpose. It only happens when I've downshifted as I come to a stop but did not get down to 1st gear. With my heavy bike, starting in 2nd gear definitely lugs the engine and is both bad for the bike and not comfortable for me. This seems like an odd question, but I'll assume that you are not asking out of a desire to routinely do this.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
The only time I can think of starting out in 2nd gear (in any vehicle) was after a rolling stop (not coming to a full stop). Back in the days of 'three on the tree', we'd often roll up to a stop sign on roads with no traffic, shift to second, roll on through and keep on going. I do that with my bike as well.

From a full stop, I always start out in first.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Yes, the famous 'second gear stop', AKA the St. Louis stop!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
You aren't driving a truck with a granny low gear, 1st gear is for starting from a stop use it.

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
Funny how everywhere one goes that rolling stop has a different name!

Around here (NE PA, but I've heard this in NY too) it's a 'Jersey' stop.

West coast I've heard it called a 'California' stop.

I guess we all are guilty :)

Yes, the famous 'second gear stop', AKA the St. Louis stop!

·
8,604 Posts
I have seen gears broken from failing to downshift into first if and this is a big if, the clutch is strong enough to not slip sufficiently so that the torque doesn't just snap the gear!

Progressively, 1st is the strongest and the gears are "Weaker" all the way to top gear.

2nd gear is problematic on lots of big engined and powerful bikes because that's where the hard shift from 1st gear takes it toll especially during full throttle, "pop the clutch" gear banging.

Just because you can do it and it seems easy enough to take off from a stop in 2nd--especially from a rolling "California Stop," (LEO here in MO write it up as a CA stop!) this is BAD for you gearbox and clutch--over time.

I'd be surprised if the little 250 Ninja could even take off in 2nd gear---unless the engine was reved to maybe 100,000 rpms where it would make enough power to do so but I'm sure the clutch wouldn't approve:biggrin:

Remember, if your trans and engine are a unit and the cases split vertically, the entire engine will have to be taken apart to fix the gears if you break one.

Be afraid---be very afraid:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts