Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously. Stop it. If you, like me, aren't a Santa Clause bearded pirate, and you, like I was, are spending $20+ on multi-blade disposable razor heads with the goo strips, stop it. Save your money for motorcycles.

Buy a straight razor. One straight can last your whole life. And then the lives of whomever it gets passed on to. Mine is over 100 years old. No foolin. Whippeddog sells restored, shave ready straights for about what a pack of five bladed goo heads costs. Mine's a King Porcupine. There are other vendors, and some sell brand new razors. They cost dearly. Still cheaper in the long run than a lifetime of heads.

It does take some skill to use a straight. You can slice your face off if you hurry with one. I know. It took a month for me to grow back my right cheek. It takes some maintenance, too. Straights need to be stropped and honed. It does also take more time to shave, but not a lot once you get the hang of it. With a little effort and practice, you too can be a straight razor wielding bad ass.

And if that doesn't suit you, Merkur offers a whole line of brand new double edge razors. These are the old school all metal razors like grandpa (or some of you really old grizzles) used to use. I've a Merkur 1904 I use when I don't feel like using the straight. $27 on Amazon. Replacement blades are cheap, and there's many to choose from. Buying them is a fraction of what heads cost, and they work as well or better. They're easy to use, too. They require a little more care than throwaways, but not much. I was a pro at DE shaving right out the box.

Really. Now that I've learned about straight and DE razors, it's unfathomable that the expensive head systems ever caught on. How did we get dupped?

And while we're talking about shaving, stop spraying canned whipped cream on your face. Save it for the bedroom. Get a brush and a bar of shave soap. Cheaper and better. They have scents, too. We can all be smooth and good smelling while we ride fancy motorcycles with all the money we save.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Yeah, I won't be doing the straight razor. I just recently had to trim my beard into a goatee, because it's hard for a one-eyed guy to see the side opposite his good eye.
With my Mach III I just wacked a bit to much off, with a straight there's no telling.

I haven't had an electric in a while, but they used to give me razor burn.

·
American Legion Rider
18,622 Posts
Well I don't shave my face but do my head which saves barber charges so blades seem cheap. Plus I use those darn things until they won't even cut. What's a little blood?:D

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I switched to a vintage double-edged razor two years ago. Found one in an antique store. Virtually identical to the one's our parents used. But one of the nicer ones, not the cheaper ones.

I can buy blades for .10 or less in quantity, on eBay. Fresh blade for every shave. Wilkinson blades, still made in Germany, do the job nicely.

It's a wonderful change compared to the $6 cartridge /5 bladed nonsense Schick and Gillette are pushing these days.

Takes a little more shaving skill, a few more passes over each spot than with a multi-blade, but... the results are identical, imho.

I recently picked up 3 more vintage, very nice, double edge units at an antique store. Much nicer than the chromed crappy one the guy from Pawn Stars is hawking in telemercials.

I might be convinced to let one go to someone who's ready to make the switch and begs and pleads sufficiently.

Or you can go hit the antique stores yourself. Or eBay, where they're selling for anywhere from $25-200 for a nicer one.

One note: SOME of the vintage double edge units had adjustable guards. You really don't need it. The angle you hold the thing against your face is everything with these babies.

http://www.razoremporium.com/

Well I'll be danged, this place is just down the street from me!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too saw the Pawn Star guy's Chinese razor at Walgreens, and passed. Merkur, and the blade it comes with, is made in Solingen, Germany, and the quality looks way above the Pawn Star. I got a great shave right out the box.

Vintage is a good way to get US made DE razors, just look close for any pitting and that the head secures well to the handle. Old threads can be worn.

A big difference between DE and the goo heads is that you don't have to press the DE into your face. How you hold it, and it's own weight, do the work.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That blade sample kits looks good. Dorco and Feather get great reviews. So does Sword. Their big sample kit comes in at .32¢ a blade, before shipping, which shouldn't be much.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I use a DE safety razor and have for years. It's dirt cheap to buy blades and if I run out of shaving soap I can use almost anything soap-wise as a substitute. The actual razor holder I have is likely old, but I have no idea if it's an antique or not. It belonged to my first wife's father and using it brings back happy memories of him.

I do have three old straight razors that seem to be in pretty good shape. I couldn't tell you what kind they are though, and I haven't yet tried to shave with them. I did try to shave last summer with a wood chisel I had sharpened, just for fun.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
+1 for the safety razor. Straight razors to me are for the professionals. I don't leave myself enough time in the morning to do it right. Badger brush my face with shaving soap, scrape it off gently with the razor, wash. Repeat in 3 days.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
When I wake up in the morning, blurry eyed, blinky, and still half asleep; the last thing I want to do is put a straight razor to my neck. I wouldn't have to buy razors anymore...heck I wouldn't have to shave anymore:eek:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Maybe a little off topic, and I'm probably dating myself. :frown: But does anyone remember the old medicine cabinet razor blade disposal slots? Just a word of caution if you're doing a bathroom remodel in an old house, look out for rusty razor blades in the walls. Don't ask.....:eek:

·
American Legion Rider
18,622 Posts
I must have had an expensive medicine cabinet. Mine actually said "Blades". But I'd done enough remodeling to know just what that was all about. I wouldn't surprised if we aren't doing nearly the same thing in doctors offices and hospitals with "Sharpes". Out of sight out of mind.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
They probably figured it was safer than throwing them in the trash. You can fit a lot of razor blades in a hollow wall.

·
Very Famous Person
9,689 Posts
--

I got into the habit (forced at that time) of shaving every day when I was in the Marines 55 years ago. In fact, I still have the single blade, double edge, razor I used then. It's real basic, but it works fine. I only use it now on those hairs that curl up and missed by an electric shaver.

The thing is, with an electric, you have to use it for a while so your skin will grow out a little more. Then the shave is better. The razors scrape some of your skin off each time which is why it feels smoother.

--

·
American Legion Rider
18,622 Posts
Right you are Ron on electric shavers. I just wasn't man enough to grow another face so I just let the head hair roots come on through.:D

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I never find cool old stuff behind walls. Just termites. Totally not cool.
Last remodel I did I left my Pentax Super Program & 80-210 zoom in the wall to be found at some point in the future. Along with a roll of mostly exposed film, picture of the house, me, cars, day's newspaper, etc.

Film cameras....meh.

And before you scream bloody murder.... it needed repairs.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
I never find cool old stuff behind walls. Just termites. Totally not cool.
When we did some kitchen remodeling in our old house, (the same one with the rusty razor blades) we found a bunch of the the original paperwork behind the cabinets from when the house was built in the early 50s. Stuff like the builder's brochure of all the houses they offered, what looked like a build list of the house with the added options, the owners manual to all the original White Westinghouse appliances and the subdivision bylaws stating who I could and couldn't sell the house to when I went to sell.:eek: We thought it was awesome that someone stashed it there, so we put it all back for the next person to find. We did the same thing when we had this house built 15 years ago, but we also added photos of the house and neighborhood under construction, and a copy of the local newspaper with all the ads for someone to find in 40 years.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts