Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
week or so ago i got behind a vehicle who just came to a stop sign. They didn't have any indicatior. traffic passing eased up but the driver just sat there. few more cars went by but driver kept sitting. next opening guy turned right no indicator.

at this particular stop sign its very common for ppl to continue straight and traffic to go around on the shoulder to make a right. Sometimes on a cycle when you get a feeling the guy in front of you aint doing something right you just have to be patient.

·
Registered
210 Posts
week or so ago i got behind a vehicle who just came to a stop sign. They didn't have any indicatior. traffic passing eased up but the driver just sat there. few more cars went by but driver kept sitting. next opening guy turned right no indicator.

at this particular stop sign its very common for ppl to continue straight and traffic to go around on the shoulder to make a right. Sometimes on a cycle when you get a feeling the guy in front of you aint doing something right you just have to be patient.
Yeah, he might be messing with his navigation system, and suddenly find out he needs to turn right there, right now.
There might not be a safe and legal way to get past him.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,507 Posts
In PA specifically going to Reading via Pottsville there is a lot of intersection that weave back and forth with turning lanes and double lane going straight and had a lot of people aggravated by me going slow to make sure I was in the correct lane to proceed and cars would zip around me on the shoulder and in those Yello striped off areas that indicate the lane has ended etc. Of course I am speaking from being in my big truck, but have done it on the motorcycles too and that is terrifying with impatient people around you.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
Many(most) states could make a fortune and pay for extra personal just enforcing the laws on the books for road use. I sorta understand why they focus on the big rigs(safety?) but it's the 4 wheelers that truly need to be reigned in. JMHO

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
There are a lot of places in the east coast where it is a lane dance just to keep going straight

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
We have that here too Critter.
Some places it's the left lane for left/straight. and right lane for right turn only.
Other roads, it's left lane for left turn only and right lane for straight/right turn.
Others is either lane for straight and left/right lanes for respective turns.

If everyone would just use there damn indicators, we'd all be better off...except for the drivers that use the indicator for the lane shift and don't shut them off when going straight across the intersection:confused:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Reactions: FlipFlop and Jo6pak

·
Very Famous Person
10,004 Posts
--

When it comes to confusion, for me the biggie is round-a-bouts. No two are alike and not only are there often lines that cross over each other (like you're supposed to instantly know the dashed line goes there and the solid with dots and arrows goes over this-a-way). Then there are the drivers coming in from the sides in two lanes that may not be in the lane they want to be in and you're in a lane that only turns, and you signal, no one else signals, ... Drives me crazy. :surprise:

Then the other day, I got on one round-a bout by my house, and since I knew I wanted to go on Hwy. 60 east, I looked for the sign. No sign. I went around about 4 or 5 times, around and around, looking for the right exit. Couldn't find it. So I just said "what the heck, I'm just taking the next turnoff and see where I end up". Turns out I wasn't on the round-a-bout I thought I was on which is why I couldn't find the right exit. :smile_big:

I mean, you know those overhead signs with arrows that tell you which lane goes where and which lane has two options, and which lane merges with the side lanes--for gosh sakes, you have about 1&1/2 second to decipher and follow. At the same time, you worry about, and watch, someone coming in from the side that will run you over which cuts down on the 1&1/2 seconds to read the sign. Crazy. :smile:

--

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
I've often read signs here about an Amber Alert and wondered just how many wrecks these dang signs create themselves. And round-abouts, it's been so long since I've been on one that I completely forgot you can play merry-go-round as long as you want. So I had to get my wife to the hospital a few weeks ago and instead of staying on the darn thing I just went ahead and took an exit that generally went the direction I wanted. I only went about 10 miles out of my way but I was determined NOT to be one of THOSE GUYS. I'm really not surprised there are accidents all the time. We've completely outgrown our roads. And we are still bring more unvetted, soon to be, drivers across our borders. We are a nation totally out of control.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
Missouri is apparently into 'Roundabouts' at this time and most work well except for these few that I've noticed:

Roundabout at the bottom of a hilly area where drivers can't see it until the last moment:surprise:

Roundabout with such a small diameter/ turning radius that big rigs have to ride up on the curbs.

This one is new and weird: Several roundabouts like double 'circle eights' right at a on ramps and off ramps to Interstate 44, in Joplin, Missouri. The first time I approached this, I was totally confused in a nano second and had to go around in a circle a few times:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nj has a few double roundabouts. the one near 47 and 130 definitely catches new ppl off guard. Luckily i was on bicycle the first time i encountered it. plenty of time to see what's going on and learn it from the curb.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
Am I the only American that likes roundabouts? If they are done properly and drivers know how to use them they are a great time saver. But the key thing is knowing how to drive them. If they have more than one lane, each lane is for a different exit. Outside lane is for the next turn, it peels off and the next lane becomes the outside lane and next turn etc. Always use your turn signal in an RB, even entering. Going out the next turn right signal, going past it left signal. Do this even as you enter the ring. If everyone did this things would be a lot simpler. stop waiting to go in, instead time your entry to blend into existing traffic.

My favorite roundabout is off the M10 near Asford. 6 lanes in the circle, the approach lane off the M road has 3 lanes each for two different exists. The big difference is the signage. Not only the overheads but every lane is marked with the road numbers it leads to.

Have fun and don't get dizzy.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
Being from Missouri I grew up with the things. But when you are away from them a good portion of your life you forget how it all works. And most drivers in the country have never seen one to start with. So they are truly more of a traffic jam than traffic expediter in many cases. Just takes one little bump and idiots here just stop right there blocking everything. I can't remember the one in Missouri, Troost or Paseo but KCMO, but in one of the normal packed snow days where everything is ice rather than snow, I blocked all the lanes as I slid around that thing at a 45º angle trying to stay high enough that I could hit the exit I needed. And I know how to drift a car in turns. Basic racing 101. I know I went around that thing at least 3 times before I got it just the way I wanted. Made it and I watched the next poor suckers start playing bumper cars. So no, I don't miss the things one bit. It's not me or the roundabouts, it's the other drivers I can do without. That one I went around and around on, I was the only in that thing or I would have just taken the first exit and found a cross street to get where I wanted to go. But I was having fun. Wife, not so much. But I was.:grin:

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
On The Road Again!
4,212 Posts
"Roundabouts"?
I get a kick out of that term.
Where I grew up in northern New Jersey, they were always called "Traffic Circles".
They have eliminated most of them in this area though. Most of them have been replaced by big complicated intersections with traffic lights...LOTS of traffic lights.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
We called them traffic circles in California too.:smile_big:

They do save time for sure:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rt 70 and 260 is my fav circle. wide lanes and easy to indicate exiting. most circles r just poorly made. its pretty close to a police station so ppl actually try to indicate intention as well.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,507 Posts
Indiana is getting big on roundabouts, kinda wish they would fill the holes and forget the roundabouts for now.

Reactions: Porky

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
last year nj got a few million every county for road repairs...the roads are terrible here. every county ripped apart decent bridges and started rebuilding them instead of repairing the roads lol...i guess having new bridges is cool but i wish theyd stop cheap repairing these roads that only fix for a day and rip wide open again. probably costs more in the long run fixing the same spot everyday than an actual fix would. very few of the bridges they attack even needed repairs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts