Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a honda grom. The durn thing is in STEALTH MODE. You can't hear me at all! A lot of guys are telling me I should buy a new pipe like tyga or what ever. But I would like to get my hands dirty and just make the stock pipe louder. Anyone know how to do this?
thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The only thing you could do to a STOCK pipe is to pull out the baffles. Depending on the pipe style, doing this might be a 1-way ticket that you can't back out of, because the baffles get wrecked in the removal. Google the removal process & see if it's something you want to tackle.

You may not like it though.. while it will probably make your bike louder, it may also make it raspier sounding. And with the loss of back-pressure the bike might start backfiring (popping) more on deceleration.

Usually you get what you pay for,, and this mod is free.. lol

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
There is also the danger of leaning out the fuel mixture enough to do engine damage.

Changes to exhaust back pressure without adjusting the intake is a bad idea.

My suggestion is to install a loud horn if you need to be heard.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes! Thanks guys!

Dodsfall, I like the idea of adding a loud horn. I have encountered a few situations where I need to use my horn so that I'm not run off the road; however I have also encountered the issue where I'm either deer and headlights to which I reach for my breaks instead of honking OR can't find my horn and everything's happening so fast . Any suggestions?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,348 Posts
Brake first when needed.

then,
scream, curse, shake your fist or blow the horn

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Like Critter said, save your arse first, then do whatever makes you feel better, curse, holler, flail your fist, it really doesn't matter much cause the ding dong that pulls out in front of you really ain't gonna care much anyways. Just worry about saving yourself first, that's all that really matters.

Sometimes, stealth mode is awesome. When you can sneak right up on someone, honk your horn and watch them jump ten feet in the air, it's priceless. The prankster in me likes to do things like that....

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Practice pushing the horn. Do it until it is second nature. Stabbing blindly for it when you actually need it is too late.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha! Thanks guys! I love all the advice! And I realized how much people don't care a couple days ago! He tried to run me off the road into a wall! I honked after; he did nothing. So I came up to him and told him to use his mirrors and said you almost smashed me into the wall!!! His response "blah blah blah" so yeah; cursing and punching in his mirror made me feel better.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I've often wondered if I could take a drill, and up ahead of the baffles, drill a couple of 3/8 inch holes on the bottom side of the pipe(s) and put some of that preservative paint (to prevent rusting) on the holes.

Wouldn't THAT give me more grumble, without sacrificing the carb mixture??????

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
Sometimes you'll end up with a higher pitched almost tin'y type sound. From what I've seen, but may not be fact, the only way to get a good deep tone is to change to a larger diameter muffler. Seems that way even if it's not so. Yes you can certainly drill some extra holes and make it louder but just no guarantee it will be better. Removing the baffle completely worked on my VTX but it still had that tin'y sound to it. Good tone is an art that some makers get and some don't. EPA regulations just screw the whole thing up from a manufacture point.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Hog: Higher pitch sound when you put a larger diameter pipe on? Interesting! I would have thought a larger pipe would make it more a deeper sound? The Cobra and Vance & Hines pipes all seem to be a smaller diameter pipe than Stock pipes. I guess I need to do my homework some more.

I think it was discussed in another Thread but perhaps it's worth re-visiting here..........did someone say that the "potatopotatopotato" sound that was so well loved in Harley bikes (for example, since everyone, me included, loves that sound) cannot be produced these days on modern Harleys, as strongly as it once was, because of some changes to the motor that affected that sound?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
Hog: Higher pitch sound when you put a larger diameter pipe on?
-Soupy
I didn't say that.
hogcowboy said:
the only way to get a good deep tone is to change to a larger diameter muffler.
Better have another cup of coffee.:D

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
You can reproduce the sound of an older Harley on a newer one by turning the idle down, but that sacrifices oil pressure which is more important on a TC engine.

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
It's not the idle. They changed the engine a lot internally. The angle of the pistons as well is an external observation.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It's not the idle. They changed the engine a lot internally. The angle of the pistons as well is an external observation.
Yeah, that is what I heard sort of...........that the engine was changed in some way, which ultimately had an effect on the sound. (Obviously I suppose the "changes" had an effect on performance as well; good and bad potentially, I suppose).

Perhaps a lesson (for ignorant fools like me) in "piston angle" is in order. I have experience with the Horizontally-opposed engine in a Subaru, but that's about it. I believe the BMW's are "horizontally-opposed" motors still, right? I realize, of course, that a HD does not have "horizontally-opposed" pistons; I'm just stating a "for instance" with regard to motor designs.

What would some of you more "motorcycle design savy" folks (Hog included of course) like to say about the specific mechanical changes that HD brought to bear, that changed the sound? Anyone?

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
As far as I know Harley Big Twins have always been a 45 degree V-twin. (Although this morning I'm wondering if I ever remember anything correctly at all.) The Twin Cam is a completely different engine then the Evo, and everything before it, and only a very few parts are interchangeable, but it still has the same 45 degree set up with a single pin for Siamese crank shafts. What gives it that particular potato sound is the firing order: The spacing between the firings is not even.

As for actual sound difference between a new Harley and an older one, say a Twin Cam and a Shovel, that's probably due to exhaust design and RPM's. If you put a more open pipe on a newer bike and slow it down, it can sound very close to what a Shovel sounds like. It's just that it's not a good idea because the TC has a completely different oil pump and oiling design and should not be run at the slower RPM's.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The cylinders fire one right after the other, then coast around a couple times before firing again. The firing pattern and single crank pin hasn't changed from the older engines. A big heavy flywheel is needed to keep everything spinning correctly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts