Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, possibly looking at a 1975 honda cb550 this weekend. Guy says it's got a bit of a sticky clutch and clicks into first pretty hard. says it's a new clutch and he's had barely 20 miles on it since he's put it in. What could i be looking at in terms of repairs??

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Check the clutch lever free play. Chances are the clutch is just adjusted wrong, too sloppy.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I would agree..........

This summer a learned a bit, by trial and error, about how the shifter reacts to the clutch cable tension.

I found, that by changing the adjuster on the cable, I could increase or decrease the shifter response.

Find the "sweet spot" by adjusting the clutch cable in and out, by the locknut. Should help.

If there is a mechanical functional stickiness to the Clutch handle itself, this can be easily remedied with some form of lubrication to the handle joint.

I DON'T know if you can actually lubricate the clutch cable itself, (due to lack of expertise in this area) but I would assume so, and will leave advice on that, to the Pro's in here.

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
You can and should lubricate the clutch cable periodically. It keeps them from binding and protects from rust.

Too much free play in the cable and the clutch might not disengage engine from trans completely when pulled, too little free play and it might slip when released.

Generally, there should be a small amount of free play where the cable enters the lever housing. About 1/8 inch is common, but may vary by model.

·
7,494 Posts
The CB500 and 550 had weak clutches that were prone to slip if abused. many folks replaced them with aftermarket plates like 'Barnett.' If the Barnett springs are used then the entire clutch becomes 'heavy duty,' with a harder pull and tighter clearences.

I would try all exterior adjustments first and then if that didn't work, I'd tear it down and fix it or have it done at a Honda dealer. The clutch housing is right out in the open and replacing drive and driven plates is easy.

Get a service manual first and take digital pictures during disassembly so it will be easier to put things back together.

There is the possibility that the clutch grabs because the plates are new and very tight.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Also, the top friction disc is different from the rest and, if they were installed in the wrong order, the clutch may not release properly. Adjusting the clutch can be tricky, as there is a throwout adjustment on the cover, which should be set with the cable loose or disconnected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts