Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through and detailing my Virago the other day and found the steering lock. I knew one was there, but have never had occasion to use it. Tested it and all is good. But the question is this: When the bike is parked and the side stand is down, the wheel just naturally turns to the left. The steering lock is on the left as well, so you have to turn the wheel to the right to lock it. Is this standard on all machines?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nope. On my Suzuki and my Honda the lock is incorporated with the ignition switch -- on the right with the Suzuki, in the center on the Honda.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
My older Yamahas swing both ways, so will lock to the left, and lock to the right.
Did you watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

UK
Now I thought he was referring to the mechanical part, the lock itself, being on the left. You don't mean you can move the lock to the right or left do you?

I've seen the lock part on both sides. I don't think there is a standard in that sense. But I do think I see more on the right just because of the way the wheel naturally turn when on the sidestand. On the left, wheel turned to the left would be a fair theft diversion. Not much but some. But it really doesn't take much to break the lock anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
On the Yamahas the lock is part of the ignition switch, in the middle just in front of the steering head tube.
There is a welded on part, and the pin that drops down can go to the left or right side.
On my Trail 90, and many other bikes, the lock is lower down on the left. Some bikes my only lock to the left, I would have to check the 90.
Depending on the lay of the land, and the bikes relation to the curb, the slope, it may make sense to lock to the right, or lock to the left.
Put your hands on your bars tho, not your hips.

UK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts