Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
├•┤ Pew Pew
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard time finding information concerning the 'best' steering damper and while looking found that the installs were fairly complicated sometimes. I went against what I read the most reviews about (Scotts) and went with what as local NESBA instructor suggested.

I got a GPR v4 stabilizer and it was a breeze to install! Literally 3 screws (2 were set screws but those weren't too difficult to get out). The damper works very well compared to no damper. I've never used any other kind so I can't compare really.

Just thought I'd throw this info out here and offer a diy with pictures (although probably not needed) for anybody that might be looking for the same thing I was :)

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
I have had a scotts before and loved it....Pretty much the easiest install I have ever seen. I like the GPR's except I heard one horror story about them, one leaked the oil from inside the damper all over my buddy's triumph gas tank....ruined paint job and new damper required. GPR said they are going to pay for both but neither have yet.

·
track junkie
798 Posts
the 1st gen GPR's leak, apparently the 2nd gen ones don't.

I've used GPR, Scott, Ohlins--They all worked well and did what they were supposed to do--though i will say to use loctite on your screws, i lost my GPR on the freeway when the screws connecting it to the mount rattled loose. That made me feel pretty sad/dumb :(

·
├•┤ Pew Pew
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was debating whether to use loctite on those screws too, but I think I am just going to carry an allen wrench and remove it whenever I park my bike somewhere... It takes me about 2 minutes to completely remove the system from my bike... with only a 5mm allen wrench... that scares me more than it vibrating off!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts