Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vstar 250. I road it last night for about 1.5 hours, and got it up to speed quite well. Can do 65mph, but 55 and below is better just because the bike is so light, that for the higher speeds I get tossed around a bit.

Over all, I'm quite comfortable on the bike, but I also haven't been riding a whole lot yet. My dilemma is that if I decide to stick with this bike for a good few years (5 or so years), I'm going to want to give it some upgrades. Windshield, sissy bar, etc. The price of some of these things are quite expensive in comparison to the price of the bike, and because most people use the 250 as just a starter bike and don't add a whole lot to it, the supply of add-ons are limited.

Any suggestions on upgrading vs staying, or places where vstar 250 accessories have decent prices?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
java,
one thing to think of when upgrading is hte extra weight you are adding to the bike. I'm not sure if it will do anything but it might weigh it down with a lot of extra stuff. I think now that you have completed your MFS (congratulations) you should be able to make up your own mind regarding a new bike. Are you ready for something bigger? I personally, would say yes it is time, but ultimately the decision is up to you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
java,
I personally, would say yes it is time, but ultimately the decision is up to you.

QUOTE]

I agree with what he said. I've got a V-Star 1100 and I absolutely love it. It handles great on the highway at higher speeds. That may be kind of a big jump from a 250 but I think if you're really comfortable a 650 wouldn't be bad. It all depends on your comfort level and how confident you are in your riding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go for the 1100 if you can handle the 250 fine you will quickly find anything smaller than the 1100 a dissappointment and only wished you had gone bigger

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree. My 1100 is my first bike, and I've been riding it about a year now. While there are other bikes out there I like, like the Roadliner and the Raider, the 1100 Custom keeps me entertained enough to not want to give it up. Not to mention it's a good commuter with bags and windshield.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a windshield, crash bars, highway pegs, and saddlebags on my Virago. My decision was to keep the Virago 250 at 80 mpg or go with something bigger and get 45-50 mpg. I stayed with the 250. I rode I95 for 3 hours each direction a few weeks ago and didn't have any problem get blown around.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Go for the 1100 if you can handle the 250 fine you will quickly find anything smaller than the 1100 a dissappointment and only wished you had gone bigger
I agree. My 1100 is my first bike, and I've been riding it about a year now. While there are other bikes out there I like, like the Roadliner and the Raider, the 1100 Custom keeps me entertained enough to not want to give it up. Not to mention it's a good commuter with bags and windshield.
I wouldn't necessarily go as big as the 1100. I'm not saying a girl can't handle it or anything I just know of a lot of 550's, 600's & 650's that could do a pretty darn good job and not be so big. Also the smaller the bike the better the gas mileage as well. Again, just a few things to think about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
well perhaps its just a fluke but my friend has the 650 and my 1100 is getting the same mpg he is plus the bike isnt that big my wife is very small and she can move it ok. I have been riding for about 7 years now and the one thing i can tell you from exp is start small but then go slightly bigger than your comfort zone will allow.

in any case as long as its a vstar i think you will be happy with it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dad has the Rider. He says it's easier for him to not feel like he's having to steer it around corners, because the weight of the bike is centered lower. His bike is sweeeet! Maybe I'll see if I can steal his keys and try it out ;)

If I were to love it, I would then probably decide to just stick with the 250, not put a whole lot of extras into it, and just wait until it would become financially possible to get my own raider.

·
Psychotic Reader
638 Posts
If a 250 would have been available, I would have started there for a street bike, but instead I jumped for a good deal on a "used" 650 and am a little twitchey when I ride.
Big difference between a strickly off-road that is fast and very light to a heavier brut.

So for my two pennies, don't go large too fast if you can find a happy medium that will last awhile.

Wayne S

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Find a good used VStar 650.

I bought my 2001 Classic last year with 5K miles on it for $2400.

The 650s are plentiful in my area at the $2K to $4K range depending on year and miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts