Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I used to leave at 5am. Most of those people were okay. Now I leave at 6am. Most of those people are idiots. Getting off early on a Saturday morning was the worst. So many drunks.

·
American Legion Rider
18,989 Posts
Don't ever go through St. Louis on 70! Let me know if you want to come this way again and I'll give you a much safer, more scenic route that will get you to 70 west of St. Louis at Wentzville. We can also meet up for coffee or a meal. ;)
Has St. Louis got that bad or was I maybe just in a nicer area. Back in the late 60's I had to visit my ex wife's grandma who had an apartment where I could see the paddle wheel(s). Just step out the front door and look to the east and there they were. No way can I remember the street. I just remember hearing the paperboy yell out the daily headline in the paper. My ex's uncle lived out some where. I think Huntsville or something like that. Maybe Henderson. Long time ago but started with an "H". Never went out there anyway but her grandmas place seemed just fine. It didn't seem like it was that far from what ever highway it is that goes from KC to Louie. I thought it was 70 but guess it could be 71. Been too long ago and I'm too lazy to go look.:D

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
It was 70. The area you are talking about has changed a LOT. It is definitely "inner city" now. If you go down to the landing or ballpark it is normally safe. There are many officers in the area. You just really don't want to go into the residential areas unless you know where you are going.

I suggest avoiding going there because the highways up there are just insane. Many of them are 4 lanes wide and no matter what time, day or night there is traffic. We avoid going there as much as possible. Unless it is an emergency we refuse to go during rush hours.

·
American Legion Rider
18,989 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the ball park. Yep, could see it too. And I suppose it would be racist to even think what lives there now. Maybe it will be like KC in the 60's and they just burn themselves out of a home. Similar thing is starting to happen in Texas and it isn't race but religion here. I'll never understand why people don't even try to improve. Seems now if you are born poor, give up, your done, get used to it. It's a real shame and that attitude does in fact rub off. I have two cousins that are worthless. One finally got killed while he slept in the gutter. That ?may? change the other. It really isn't a race thing but you know the direction it leans and anyone can get there.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Drugs are a huge part of it! I used to have to go to training downtown and the office was right across from Larry Rice's place. Druggies, homeless and a lot of mentally challenged went there for food, a blanket and anything else they were giving out. They then just hang around on the streets. Not a safe place to be! I complained every time I had to go there. They finally moved training south to another office.

·
American Legion Rider
18,989 Posts
There is a cure for the drug problem. Give it to them. All they want until they OD. Solves a lot of problems. I'm not one to keep worthless things. Including the human kind. This nation needs a good culling.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
There is a cure for the drug problem. Give it to them. All they want until they OD. Solves a lot of problems. I'm not one to keep worthless things. Including the human kind. This nation needs a good culling.
Although I feel the same way sometimes about the druggies, I also know alot of good hearted people who have for some reason or another got hooked on drugs and seen their world turned upside down. Some found a way to straighten out and become productive members of society while others succumbed to the temptations. For me, it was depression and trying to self medicate, which didn't work too well. Yes, it was a bad time in my life,I found my way back, but I certianly shouldn't have to be culled out of the world.

And, yes, I'm a female that has made 43 years accident free...more than most men I know (original subject)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,863 Posts
Don't ever go through St. Louis on 70! Let me know if you want to come this way again and I'll give you a much safer, more scenic route that will get you to 70 west of St. Louis at Wentzville. We can also meet up for coffee or a meal. ;)
Sounds like a good plan Moni .. Will let you know next time heading up that way ..

·
American Legion Rider
18,989 Posts
Although I feel the same way sometimes about the druggies, I also know alot of good hearted people who have for some reason or another got hooked on drugs and seen their world turned upside down. Some found a way to straighten out and become productive members of society while others succumbed to the temptations. For me, it was depression and trying to self medicate, which didn't work too well. Yes, it was a bad time in my life,I found my way back, but I certianly shouldn't have to be culled out of the world.

And, yes, I'm a female that has made 43 years accident free...more than most men I know (original subject)
Don't get me wrong zippy. I'm all for giving anyone second and third chance. I draw the line there however. From that point on a person isn't trying but just existing and is no longer contributing. But even then it becomes difficult to separate those with a medical problem from those that just gave up. I choose to let the individual decide. That's where I am when I say let these people have all they want. Stop babysitting. Give them a place to only harm themselves as they wish. It's the three strikes you're out rule for me. And thumbs up to you for turning your life around.:thumbsup: Just don't ask me to support those that don't want to help themselves. If that's what others want, fine. Keep it there. Allow those that no longer want to babysit to move on. It's a tough stand but there is a point that enough is enough. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hog, I whole heartfully agree with you there. Everyone of us has made a mistake. It's hard for me to see a loved one succumb to the addiction. It's hard for me to say to them, "I love you, and will always be here for you when you need me, but as long as you are using, I cannot be around you" That's what I have to do to keep myself clean. Door will always be open when they want to get help, but till then, well, there's not much others can do. They have to have the willingness to do it for themselves, and not for someone else. Give them a chance but like you said, after three tries, and you are still trying to help them, you end up being the enabler.

Then there's those that you see that you know they chose the lifestyle and there is no coming back from it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Now my drug is my motorcycle. Nothing helps clear my head better than a ride on my bike. Counting the days till I can ride again.....

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
Now my drug is my motorcycle. Nothing helps clear my head better than a ride on my bike. Counting the days till I can ride again.....
Amen sister!!
I always say that motorcycling is my last addiction. I've been addicted to a few things in my life, this is the one I don't want to kick:icon_cool:

As for the original subject of this thread.
Every scientific study done on multi-tasking shows that humans are very poor at it across the board. The human brain is just not wired to do several tasks at once. The brain can switch fairly quickly from one task to another, but actually doing more than one at the same time is all but impossible. These studies also tend to show that, while no one is good at multi-tasking, females are usually less bad than males.
And most studies agree that using a cell phone while driving is just as impairing as alcohol. Texting or using other mobile devices is even more so.
The science also shows that people who rate themselves as good multi-taskers are frequently the ones that score worst in the actual activities while testing.

Think to yourself. If you had to walk across a hockey rink while a NHL game was being played, would you be on the phone or texting while you made my way across?
No?
Then hang up and drive the damn car

21 - 33 of 33 Posts