Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a Honda shadow VT750DC. When I go to press the ignition to start my bike it clicks once or not at all sometimes but when I go to do it again immediately after, it starts right up. I’ve recently replaced the battery as well while this has been happening. I’m assuming it could be the starter or the starter relay but would like any other ideas to look at that I could be missing. Thank you!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
Check your wiring and clean all the connections, especially grounds or earths depending where you are from.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
My gut reaction is a starter solenoid going bad or perhaps electrical connections that need cleaning like the starter button.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Common on older bikes like the valkyries and such. The coils are pretty weak and I think what you will find is generally it will startup as soon as you release the start button. The problem is the starter draws so much current the coils only provide a weak red spark but as soon as the start button is released the spark turns white and it will start the engine. In the past I have converted some to automotive coils but in general the battery must be like new or it will experience too much voltage drop. I am sure if you jump start with a car battery it will zing right up which says a lot right there. Make sure the battery connections are good and tight also. It's not a starter solenoid as when they go bad it will not crank over.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also check the starter switch itself, they tend to get pretty gunked up. When I had my Shadow it had the same problem, I disassembled the switch, and it was fine after that, but I've heard a lot of people had good luck just spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the housing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Whatever you do don't spray WD-40 in there or anywhere for that matter, it is the worst thing ever for electrical or fine moving parts like garage door openers. :)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Other than the starter itself about to buy the farm, looks like all other possibilities have been hit upon.

The starter started going out on my truck. I found a rebuilder that repaired my wore out starter to as good as new and he done it for less than a new starter. If the starter is the problem, check out getting it rebuilt. Could save you some $$$. :)

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Because the battery is new, and the starter solenoid only clicks sometimes but works sometimes...

My first guess would be bad connections somewhere. I'd check connections at the starter solenoid first.
Second guess wold be a bad starter solenoid.
Last and not as likely would be a bad starter motor. You can check it by using a jumper battery. Connect positive to the starter motor terminal and ground to the starter motor case. If it turns the engine over every time after a few tries the starter motor is good.

What year model is the Honda?
The reason I ask is that the older they are the more likely you are to have problems with wiring, connections and plugs. (See first guess).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts