Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I'm having an intermittent starting problem with my 2001 Suzuki Intruder, 1500. Sometimes when i push my starter button nothing happens. After trying it a few times it will start. It will do this at times whether I am starting it first thing in the morning or have briefly stopped and go to start again. Sometimes it will not give me a problem for a couple of days. I'm afraid she's going to get me stranded at some time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm hoping it is just the starter button. I'm a novice at this sort of thing but I am capable of replacing switches and minor things. Thanks, Ron.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Could also be rely. I would open up switch to see if everything looks ok. Make sure no surface rust on any contacts. Maybe apply some dielectric grease in there to protect terminals.

Another thing could be weak battery. Not weak enough now for you to notice but weak enough to cause a hiccup when starting. Not sure if you own a battery tender, if not I highly recommend them. Just plug in every time to optional wire harness you install to the battery and tender will keep your battery charged correctly. Won't over charge battery too!

Also could be starter starting to go on you. Starters do crap like that when they are nearing end of their life.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Start with the switch on the clutch lever; it hangs out in whatever weather you happen to ride through, and can get really dirty inside. It is also easily removed for cleaning, just be careful putting it back on, so you don't break the little plastic bit that sticks into a slot in the lever, or you will be bypassing it with a bit of wire in the mating connector until you get a replacement.

Does the engine ever randomly quit? If so, it may be the run/stop switch - these are known to get dirty or weaken and lose contact. Or, it could be the side stand switch that needs cleaning, or just lube on the stand pivot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start with the switch on the clutch lever; it hangs out in whatever weather you happen to ride through, and can get really dirty inside. It is also easily removed for cleaning, just be careful putting it back on, so you don't break the little plastic bit that sticks into a slot in the lever, or you will be bypassing it with a bit of wire in the mating connector until you get a replacement.

Does the engine ever randomly quit? If so, it may be the run/stop switch - these are known to get dirty or weaken and lose contact. Or, it could be the side stand switch that needs cleaning, or just lube on the stand pivot.
Thanks for the help. Srayed WC=40 in clutch lever switch and it seems to have cleared up the problem. Thanks, WintrSol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could also be rely. I would open up switch to see if everything looks ok. Make sure no surface rust on any contacts. Maybe apply some dielectric grease in there to protect terminals.

Another thing could be weak battery. Not weak enough now for you to notice but weak enough to cause a hiccup when starting. Not sure if you own a battery tender, if not I highly recommend them. Just plug in every time to optional wire harness you install to the battery and tender will keep your battery charged correctly. Won't over charge battery too!

Also could be starter starting to go on you. Starters do crap like that when they are nearing end of their life.
Thanks, Kaz. It was the clutch lever switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts