Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really really love motorcycles and I do want to learn how to ride one and own one myself. I just have no experience and i'm not sure if its possible to even get a motorcycle and the gear for it on my income.

I am just not quite sure what my options are.

I could save up for the gear and classes and take a loan out for the motorcycle (like I did for my car) but is that a wise choice for a first motorcycle?

Plus no one I know rides except my uncle who is terrifying and pretty mean.

Is there a good way to go about starting that won't be outside of a budget or impossible to save up for?

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but in many states the BRC isn't too expensive and it will give you a good understanding of what riding is all about. It will also teach you a lot of the basics you will use every time you ride. I recommend you take the class to see if you will really want to ride.

Then, if you decide you really do want, if you can avoid taking out a loan for your bike I highly recommend not doing it. Save up some money and while you are doing that look around for a used bike to start on. Go to lots of dealers and sit on lots of bikes of all brands, sizes & styles, both new and used. Hopefully you will find something that feels right and you can afford it.

Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck to you!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I think it is probably something stupid to bring up but i tend to be an odd person and my questions and worries are equally odd.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Well, if wanting to learn how to ride and enjoy a motorcycle is odd, there sure are a heck of a lot of ODD folks here on the Forum. You are asking some of the same questions many of us have asked before. :) :)

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
"never a stupid question, only stupid answers"

you don't know if you don't ask...I agree with MONI, save up some money, take the class to see if you really like it (some find out it's not for them) most MSF Classes have a test at the end that will get you past the DMV skills test...my daughter wants to learn, I told her to take the written and get her permit, take the class and of she passes get the license, even though she don't have a bike yet....that way she can take her time to save money and look around for a bike, once she finds it...she already has her license...good luck

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I agree with others. Take the brc first. This will give you an idea whether or not its for you. If you find its not for you, you will still gain alot of knowledge to help be a better car driver around motorcyclists. I still say the classroom part of brc should be mandatory for new car drivers to take. Then maybe they will understand why motorcycles need extra space.

You can usually find good used motorcycles pretty cheap. And if u have an accident wirh it its not thay much money out the door.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome. The BRC everyone is suggesting is the Basic Riding Course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, MSF. Here in Illinois it costs nothing but they do require an up front payment of $20 against you not showing up. If you show up for the course they return the money. All you need to take that course here is a pair of gloves and shoes or boots that cover your ankles. They provide everything else. If you have never ridden, the BRC will really be fun. They will take you from a total newbie to a skilled rider that still needs lots of riding practice but is competent in the basic skills. Even on a very tight budget the BRC is a great way to go.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I understand you have limited funds, but your most important investment needs to be your helmet. Learn to ride with a helmet, because accidents may happen, even a minor drop can cause serious injuries. Once you gain the experience and trust in yourself, you can then decide for yourself if you want to keep wearing it (check state laws, may be mandatory). But I strongly urge you to always protect your melon, you only get one chance at life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand you have limited funds, but your most important investment needs to be your helmet. Learn to ride with a helmet, because accidents may happen, even a minor drop can cause serious injuries. Once you gain the experience and trust in yourself, you can then decide for yourself if you want to keep wearing it (check state laws, may be mandatory). But I strongly urge you to always protect your melon, you only get one chance at life.
Yeah I know how important a helmet is. My plan is to make sure i get a helmet and stuff before I get a motorcycle. I mean if I have a motorcycle but no gear there is not really a point. I like all of me where it is.

My laws don't require a helmet though.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the form Leyla.
I wish I still had a picture of the helmet I was wearing 45 years ago when I got into a wreck at less than 35 MPH. Have you ever seen a glass marble that was struck by a hammer but somehow held together? The fracture lines inside that marble closely resemble the lines I saw in the fiberglass of my helmet. If there is no law involved it is totally up to you but there was no law involved for me either and I am here today because I chose to wear my totally out of date, by today's standards, and inadequate helmet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the form Leyla.
I wish I still had a picture of the helmet I was wearing 45 years ago when I got into a wreck at less than 35 MPH. Have you ever seen a glass marble that was struck by a hammer but somehow held together? The fracture lines inside that marble closely resemble the lines I saw in the fiberglass of my helmet. If there is no law involved it is totally up to you but there was no law involved for me either and I am here today because I chose to wear my totally out of date, by today's standards, and inadequate helmet.
Yeah I understand how important it is to wear a helmet.

My grandpa rode when he was younger and got into a pretty bad accident. He was lucky to be wearing a helmet. He probably wouldn't have survived.

And thats the one thing people tell me when I say I want a motorcycle. As long as I wear a helmet its fine lol.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Welcome Layla! I agree with everything above. Not knowing what your budget is (and I don't need to know) makes it impossible to give financial advice, but I certainly agree with buying used initially and don't worry about "outgrowing" a bike. You can have just as much fun on a 250 and IMHO become a better rider. Plenty of used bikes around!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts