Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Kawasaki eliminator 600, it has been rigged with a toggle switch for the ignition. When turned on the fan and lights all come on with no issues but it refuses to turn over or even make a clicking noise, not sure what could be wrong?!?!?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Test the battery first. Check for voltage and load with a motorcycle battery tester, or take it to a battery shop for testing if you don't have one.

Next check for voltage at the start button and at the starter itself. If all is fine there, the starter itself should be tested.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I have a 1996 Kawasaki eliminator 600, it has been rigged with a toggle switch for the ignition. When turned on the fan and lights all come on with no issues but it refuses to turn over or even make a clicking noise, not sure what could be wrong?!?!?
It really has a toggle switch? Then I'd suspect the whole toggle switch circuit if the battery tests good. That sounds like someone by-passed something then.

·
Ace Tuner
2,914 Posts
You didn't say if it ever worked with the toggle switch. Did it? Or is the toggle a new addition?
The cooling fan coming on with the switch indicates some bypassed systems. More info please.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner whacked up the wire harness.
This in itself is not really bad. Problem here is, some component like the ignition switch was going bad, instead of fixing it correctly, they slapped a toggle switch on it.
If they were not going to fix it correctly in the first place, the work they did installing the toggle switch is not going to be done correctly either.
So when you get this issue fixed, another will probably pop up down the road.

I would take this time to study the wiring diagram and repair it and put it back to the original factory condition. Or as close as you can.
Will teach you to understand it better, and less problems popping up when your out in the middle of nowhere.

Just be sure to have fun while you are doing it ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worse everything said its sounds like they ****ed this harness up pretty good cause I found a second toggle switch that controls the fan. I ordered in a new wiring harness and ignition to remove the toggle switches and all the splicing, stripping, and adding that was done. Now I can return it to original and hopefully find the resolution to my no power issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Talon! Did you ever find or Fix this issue with your starting problem? If not, I'd love to help! I have some simple checks that will help tell you exactly what the issue is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still having issues with my eliminator, I'm putting a new ignition in tonight but I have 5 colored wires and I have no idea what each one is. They are blue, brown, red, white, and yellow.....Any ideas???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts