Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Suzuki GZ250

A wire that had been soldered on in my starter mechanism came unattached. I was able to push start the bike, but couldn't start it with the starter switch. I soldered the wire back in place (I thought), but now it starts up as soon as the kill switch is on, without having to push the starter switch. I plan to get this professionally fixed soon, but I need to ride about 500 miles home first.

Did I create a dangerous situation here? I can remove the wire again and push start it if I need to, but otherwise I would like to wait. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is orange with a white stripe, and I thought it was running up to the starter switch, and it looked like there was some old solder there where another wire (that was green...and maybe with a yellow stripe) was attached.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
If the starter motor engages when the kill switch is moved to the run position that would mean the starter motor would keep running after the engine is running.
If I understand this correctly and that is what's happening, that would not be good. Very hard on the starter motor and possibly the starting clutch too.
To get it home I'd recommend the push starting option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the starter motor engages when the kill switch is moved to the run position that would mean the starter motor would keep running after the engine is running.
If I understand this correctly and that is what's happening, that would not be good. Very hard on the starter motor and possibly the starting clutch too.
To get it home I'd recommend the push starting option.
Thanks, that makes sense, I'll just keep pushing for now.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
2003 Suzuki GZ250

A wire that had been soldered on in my starter mechanism came unattached. I was able to push start the bike, but couldn't start it with the starter switch. I soldered the wire back in place (I thought), but now it starts up as soon as the kill switch is on, without having to push the starter switch. I plan to get this professionally fixed soon, but I need to ride about 500 miles home first.

Did I create a dangerous situation here? I can remove the wire again and push start it if I need to, but otherwise I would like to wait. Thanks.
You are close to fixing this, ZTD3u seems the wire that came loose is wire that works starter solenoid, you wired it to the other side of engine run switch. That is why it started as soon as kill sw. was placed 'ON' you may have seen a shorter wire, that would have connected the ER sw. to one side of starter sw. and the solenoid wire would be on other side of start sw.. If for the time being you can't fix this, you might be able to lengthen this wire and touch it to battery + as long as key is 'OFF' you won't get ignition but starter will crank if you touch longer wire hooked to solenoid wire to bat+ So when starting, key on, bike in neutral engine sw is ON then touch long solenoid wire to battery + so engine cranks. series connections are so that power must go through one item before it can go to next item. That is what you have here, juice goes from battery, through ignition sw, then through engine run, when in 'ON' position then to one side of START, thumbing starter button energizes coil in solenoid and armature gets sucked into coil pulling contact together to work the starter. hope this helps.

I did just see the pic of situation, maybe you can take that wire you soldered to the ER sw. cut it and you should be able to touch it to the ER (engine run sw.) as there will be 12 volts + and that should work the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are close to fixing this, ZTD3u seems the wire that came loose is wire that works starter solenoid, you wired it to the other side of engine run switch. That is why it started as soon as kill sw. was placed 'ON' you may have seen a shorter wire, that would have connected the ER sw. to one side of starter sw. and the solenoid wire would be on other side of start sw.. If for the time being you can't fix this, you might be able to lengthen this wire and touch it to battery + as long as key is 'OFF' you won't get ignition but starter will crank if you touch longer wire hooked to solenoid wire to bat+ So when starting, key on, bike in neutral engine sw is ON then touch long solenoid wire to battery + so engine cranks. series connections are so that power must go through one item before it can go to next item. That is what you have here, juice goes from battery, through ignition sw, then through engine run, when in 'ON' position then to one side of START, thumbing starter button energizes coil in solenoid and armature gets sucked into coil pulling contact together to work the starter. hope this helps.

I did just see the pic of situation, maybe you can take that wire you soldered to the ER sw. cut it and you should be able to touch it to the ER (engine run sw.) as there will be 12 volts + and that should work the starter solenoid.
Thanks a lot, this is helpful. I'll give this a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts