Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Suzuki s83 and the other day randomly didn’t start. No clicking or anything. I cleaned the battery terminals and closed the circuit on the relay with a screwdriver and it started right up. I figured the relay was bad so I ordered a new relay and replaced it. Now I can hear buzzing from the fuel pump but the starter still doesn’t engage at all. Any ideas on what it would be?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Check your grounds and connections to be safe, but it sounds like you might have a bad starter.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Sorry, DGS is correct. That's why I shouldn't answer questions pre-coffee..

:smiley_drinkcoffee::smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
The start button goes through the switch on the clutch, which is out in the air, and much more likely to need cleaning or fail. You can easily bypass that switch, but you lose the carburetor prime function: press the start button and the fuel pump runs, then pull in the clutch and the engine starts. Not often needed, unless you drain the carbs for some reason.

If you choose the take the switch off and clean it, be very careful remounting it, as the little plastic bit that goes into a slot in the lever is easily broken. A good cleaning followed by lube with silicone grease is usually a successful fix, and the grease keeps the switch clean longer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I second that its worth bypassing the clutch switch before you do anything else. unplug the connector that connects to it and plug a wire in both holes/terminals to complete the circuit it should then turn over.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
If you don't have a multimeter, now's the time to get one and learn how to use it. Many tutorials online, and on YouTube, if you need it. They are invaluable tools, and will quickly help you narrow down where your problem is located. Throwing new parts at the bike on a hunch alone can get pretty expensive and time consuming. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts