Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned a used 2015 Ninja EX300 Special Edition which had a full exhaust system replaced (including headers). I rode 1,000+ miles weekly on this cycle. The cycle would do 120mph and still have plenty of rpms for increasing the horsepower. The cycle had been dropped by a friend before I purchased it from him. He slid out on a mountain turn that was dirty. He was a new rider. I rode this cycle as hard as it would ride for 6 months until one day it dropped the oil out n fried the cycle at 120 mph. My mechanic believes that when the cycle was previously dropped it may have tilted the engine making it overly susceptible. Anyways...the cycle was a great bike. I loved everything about it.

I decided to replace the cycle with a 2017 CBR500R to build credit. I have excellent credit but they didn't like the fact I had never had a large loan. Immediately I was disappointed with the motorcycle. The bike had a 105mph top speed because it is geared for torque stock. I went a tooth higher for a 115ish mph that the cycle struggles to make as it tops out rpms as well as engine power(200lb rider). The cycle is uncomfortable. The seat isn't very long so any bump you hit the plastic inbetween step up nails u in the spine.

I really wanted a street cycle but in retrospect I should have just bought a dirtbike to build credit.

Now I have my 2017 CBR1000RR which was the intended cycle I wanted and I am in the process of buying a 2017 XR650L. I wish I was not so deadset on getting a street bike and went the XR to build credit.

Thanks for reading I hope my opinions help you make educated decisions. Learn from my mistakes.

PS I still commute daily on my 500. It's a reliable good bike aside from my disappointments.

·
On The Road Again!
3,265 Posts
How far do you commute every day?
From where to where?
Stay safe with all the ice we have out there.
No way I'd be out there.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used to travel from woodbine nj to west deptford for my last job. now i work in port elizabeth (the southern one) only 20 mins away. I ride on ice and snow with road 5 tires. They do an alright job but definitely not great. i used to make frequent trips to the delaware gap area all the way north east NJ. Nice stuff out there.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
I ride on ice and snow with road 5 tires.
For us southern folk, what's a road 5 tire? Now be nice too.:grin:

Is this bike or car or both?

EDIT: Never mind. I googled it. A Michelin Road 5. I just never heard of it.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
That's okay I linked the fat guys site. Donut man as in the Michelin site

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
That's okay I linked the fat guys site. Donut man as in the Michelin site
Well I did look there but thought the other one had more info. Maybe you actually did a google versus my duckduckgo. They do produce different results.

·
On The Road Again!
3,265 Posts
i used to travel from woodbine nj to west deptford for my last job. now i work in port elizabeth (the southern one) only 20 mins away. I ride on ice and snow with road 5 tires. They do an alright job but definitely not great. i used to make frequent trips to the delaware gap area all the way north east NJ. Nice stuff out there.
I didn't know that there was another Port Elizabeth.
what is it near?

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i work with truckers. apparently whenever someone say port elizabeth everyone assumes it is the one located North East NJ close to New York.

·
Visionary
3,620 Posts
i work with truckers. apparently whenever someone say port elizabeth everyone assumes it is the one located North East NJ close to New York.

I’m not surprised, Is there another NJ Port Elizabeth?

I work in Newark airport, just across the turnpike from the real :p Port Elizabeth, in fact a little known fact is that most of Newark airport is actually in Elizabeth, not in Newark, it spans both towns. It’s funny, because of this there are different cab companies, emergency services etc for different terminals in the same airport.

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
second port elizabeth is south nj in maurice river township to me this is the main one so i didnt rly think to state it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put a Michie Pilot 4 on my 1100XX 16,000 klms ago and still got a few 1000 left in it those of you who know the Super Blackbird understand its no Panigale weight wise and has a good dose of horse power with me onboard the whole lot goes 700+lbs.
My dealer friend who sold me the tyre said that things no good to me! Lol next one will be a pilot 5 they are dual purpose tyres and hold on to the tar pretty well mind you the SBB is not one for the twisties thats what I have my other bikes for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts