Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my starter on my 1980 Honda cb900c. My engine will turn over a couple times, then it seems the starter lets go and just spins out, then comes to a halt while grabbing a few teeth.

so, I have pulled the starter, put power to it, seems to spin no prob, lots of power. I have pulled the side cover off and checked the teeth that line up with the starter...no obvious issues. Everything seems to turn with ease.

not sure if its an issue with the starter clutch....not really sure what to do next!!!!

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Starter clutch; that's what connects the starter to the crankshaft, so if it lets go, the starter will just spin.
Then, when it grabs again, the starter stalls? Probably, brushes in the starter are failing, too, or your battery is just weak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Are you sure your battery is supplying enough electrical energy to run the starter? I had a similar problem once, I checked everything but at the end it appeared that my battery was depleted. I replaced it and it started perfectly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, for those of you that stumble upon this thread and have the similar problem...I Figured It Out!!!

On the face of the starter clutch there are three 12mm bolts that came loose!! I pulled them out, cleaned them up, put locktite on them, and no more problems!!

I hope this helps someone else out!!

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, very appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts