Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, just to let you know, I'm a new member and am glad to be here. I'm not new to bikes, having ridden for over fifty years. Don't ride much anymore, but I still like to work and tinker with them. Let me qualify that by saying I like to tinker with OLD bikes. Enough said. Here's my problem that I hope some of the younger crowd can help me with.

I have a 1982 Honda 750 Nighthawk. DOHC. It was a barn find for $100.00. The PO said it ran when he parked it in 1990.

After a lot of tinkering, I got it to run. (This included overhauling the carbs, replacing wires, putting the plug wires in the right order and so forth). Although it ran, it was very hard to start and ran lousy. I figured it was the electronic ignition. It was and I set the gap to .26.

However, when I pulled the cover off, there was a lot of engine oil in the side case. The starter gears are behind the ignition. Now I realize the gears and clutch pack should have some lube, but shouldn't the ignition be dry? Am I missing something or do these new electronic points run in an oil bath.

Also, most of my gaskets are rotten. Can anybody recommend a good supplier?

Thanks in advance from the 'Ol fart'.

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
The starter gears should be behind the rotor, which is on the end of the crankshaft. The rotor turns inside the stator, the coils that are used to charge the battery, run the lights, etc.; the rotor probably has timing marks on it, but it is not the ignition. There may be electronic pick-ups near the stator, to trigger an electronic ignition, but the igniter itself should be outside the engine, attached by cables. The rotor and stator are oil-cooled.

EDIT: A schematic I found indicates that there are two signal generators near the stator, which trigger two electronic ignition units, which then drive two coils.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Wintr. You covered it perfectly. All I have to do now is get gaskets and button it up. I know it sounded silly, but I'm used to points and condenser. This new stuff sometimes throws me for a loop.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum ketchboy. Does that mean you are from Ketchikan? I am from Seattle.

Please do not take this the wrong way, l don't mean it to be in any way disrespectful...l love the way you are talking about a 30 year old bike as "new" technology. This tells me that you have a huge amount of knowledge about the "old" stuff to share with us :)

Oh, and one more thing...that Nighthawk for $100 is a great find :)

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck with the bike and please do let us know how it turns out for you. Maybe it will get you back into riding more.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum ketchboy. Does that mean you are from Ketchikan? I am from Seattle.

Please do not take this the wrong way, l don't mean it to be in any way disrespectful...l love the way you are talking about a 30 year old bike as "new" technology. This tells me that you have a huge amount of knowledge about the "old" stuff to share with us :)

Oh, and one more thing...that Nighthawk for $100 is a great find :)
Nice try Hawk, but no I'm not from up north. Ketchboy is derived from sailing. When I started to slow down a little in my late 50s, I needed something to keep up the excitement level. So I bought a sailboat. A Ketch is a type of sailboat. And believe me, sailing in 60 knot winds is quite exciting!

as far as the 'old stuff'? If I can remember it, I'll share it!

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck with the bike and please do let us know how it turns out for you. Maybe it will get you back into riding more.
Thanks MONI. With five bikes in the shop now, I have to admit this one is getting my pulse up. My old sand cast CB 750 was the best bike I ever owned. I'm really partial to Honda 750s, and there are a couple of Greybeards in town wanting me to saddle up and go. So it's coming.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Nice try Hawk, but no I'm not from up north. Ketchboy is derived from sailing. When I started to slow down a little in my late 50s, I needed something to keep up the excitement level. So I bought a sailboat. A Ketch is a type of sailboat. And believe me, sailing in 60 knot winds is quite exciting!

as far as the 'old stuff'? If I can remember it, I'll share it!

Thanks for the welcome.
Gotcha! I took a sailing class once, the wind and rain came up like nobody's business 5 minutes after we set sail and it was all the instructor could do to get us back in one piece. I would love to take more sailing classes...this time IN SUMMER.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. Under certain circumstances it's the most terrifying 5 mph you'll ever experience. I love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts