Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 VS1400
got on it the other day after riding her earlier and the starter button is dead nothing at all when I push . Checked the battery 100% charged, check the battery connection with a star washer and all is good bright headlights horn works. took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts and the spring put it back together and still nothing. Any one have a clue on how to trouble shoot this issue?

· Registered
277 Posts
Check the safety switches such as neutral safety and more likely the kickstand safety. There should be a switch on the clutch lever as well to confirm the clutch is engaged. It is likely something is preventing the starter from engaging. It would be helpful if you had the shop manual to trace the circuit!

· Registered
501 Posts
I had a car that did this. Turns out there was a little plastic contact thing under the clutch lever, behind the dash, that had to be pressed all the way in order to start the engine. It was designed as a safety feature to make sure the driver had the clutch depressed when starting, but it didn't work well. Scared me when the car wouldn't start, thought it might be expensive. Turns out it was such a cheap (and common) repair they didn't even charge me.

Sounds like that is the kind of thing that DGS65 is suggesting.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
Yeah, the lock out switch at the clutch lever is kinda fragile on those bikes. That would be the first thing I'd check.

An easy way to check it... Unplug the switch and use some kind of a jumper (paper clip) to make contact between the wires.

In addition to the other switches already mentioned, the engine stop switch also is at play.

· Registered
64 Posts
did you happen to install new handle bars recently? had an old XJ i put new bars on, and had the no start issue intermittently. turns out the hand controls are grounded through the handle bars, and the paint was to thick to get a good connection. so i sanded down the area of where the controls sit, and also the area where the bars connect to the triple. not to much though and just only in the areas out of sight and bike started like a champ.

food for thought and easy to diagnose with a piece of wire clamped under the controls and touch the other end to known good ground and hit the starter.

· Registered
96 Posts
Checking this is easy.

First check this.

1. Follow your wire that comes out of your kill switch/starter control.
2. Follow the wire till you find where it plugs and unplug it.
3. Now you need a voltmeter, even a cheap one will run this test, on the volt meter set if to the audio/continuity setting.
4. Now put the red in one side and the black in the other, doesnt matter which side goes where.
5. Press the starter.

If you get a beep, beeeep sound from your voltmeter then the kill switch AND starter button is working then they are fine, if not that's your problem, and its usually the kill switch to go first.

Do you need to pull your clutch in before you can start the bike???.

If so, it could be a chance your clutch switch is broken?.

find where it plugs in (the little black box located under the clutch lever) and pull out the connector, then get a bit of wire and on the lead (not the switch) push bridge between the connections, which effectively all your doing it bypassing the connection. If the bike turns over then you have a faulty clutch switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.