Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nighthawk 650 which all of a sudden will not start. I started it 3 days ago with no problems. I went to start it today and nothing happens. No lights, go on none of the panel lights work and when I press the starter nothing happens, not even a click noise. Could it possibly be the fuse or the battery. The battery is less than 2 years old and I find it odd that absolutely nothing happens when I try to start it. I have check to make sure the kill switch is in the on position, it is in neutral no lights were left on. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The fuse or the battery is the likely culprit.

A multimeter can test both reliably, although you should check the battery first.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
First check the battery voltage. Should be 12.6 or above. 12.3 is 50% discharged.

Next check voltage between the battery minus (B-) terminal and the positive lug on the starter, where the big fat red cable bolts up. You should STILL see battery voltage there, if not, positive battery terminal is loose or corroded.

Next check voltage between B+ and frame of the bike. If no voltage, your main ground strap / connection has become detached.

After that, check the main fuse on the bike vs B-. You should have battery voltage on BOTH sides of the fuse holder.

After that, I'd be looking at the B+ feed to the ignition switch or the switch itself....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eet

Thanks for the help. It turns out the battery ran dry and had no cranking power at all. I filled with distilled water and charged and now it is working fine. The battery was stored last year and trickled charged. This was probably why the battery went dry. I am going to use a battery tender this winter and we will see in the spring.

EET:icon_mad::)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts