Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all and thanks for reading, I'm new to the forum and a lack of info on the internet has lead me here. I recently took my safety test and am looking for a first bike that i can ride past my "newness".

I love the look of the standard style bike, however all that i have sat on are fairly small for me, and the usual 250 doesn't leave much room for growth. I'm 6'2'' 265 lbs.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a bike that keeps the standard look with out the avererage to small size rider in mind?

thanks all in advance

Joe

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well, there seems to be newer standards, and older standards...
Newer, I would look at a Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki Bandit 600 or V-Strom 650, Yamaha FZ6, KLR with less dirt oriented tires.

Older style; 70's and 80's era BMW's have the best out-of-the-box ergonomis ever. An R80 is thought to be one of their best engines, and it will take you ANYwhere. Find a Kawaski W650 (I hear new W800's are coming), I feel Triumph Bonnevilles are boring, but a lot of people like them- and they're user friendly. Moto guzzi V7 Classic. Belive it or not, Ural has come out with a solo bike that looks really good to me. The problem is dealers ell them literally as fast as they hit the floor, so it's hard to actually see the Ural ST.
Last, but not least; people think I'm crzy, but the new Royal Enfields seem to be great bikes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd also throw the SV650 (standard version) into that mix. Used SV650's can be had for cheap these days and would provide (i think) the look and comfort you desire. They also have enough power to allow you to grow into them. My bike is a bit of a more 'sporty' standard, but I highly recommend it - Kawasaki er6n. Same engine as the Versys. That Versys would be a great bike as well for a guy of your size. I'm 6'2" 190 and I could flat foot the Versys no problem. It does sit higher than the er6n but it is also a tad bit more upright of a riding position and has more comforts (windscreen, etc). Try going to some local dealers and sitting on a few bikes to see whats comfortable for you. For your size though, I'd recommend a 500-650cc bike as a starter that will allow you to enjoy it and grow into a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to both of you, I am leaning more towards the used end of the spectrum, so the sv650 is looking good if i can get my but on one physically, i will be searching for the others aswell.

thank you for the input...

ps the ural looked sweet as all get out, definatly on the i want list.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
hello all and thanks for reading, I'm new to the forum and a lack of info on the internet has lead me here. I recently took my safety test and am looking for a first bike that i can ride past my "newness".

I love the look of the standard style bike, however all that i have sat on are fairly small for me, and the usual 250 doesn't leave much room for growth. I'm 6'2'' 265 lbs.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a bike that keeps the standard look with out the avererage to small size rider in mind?

thanks all in advance

Joe
Im 6ft4in and 320lbs.....and I also love standards.

Ive ridden everything from a CB400 to a KZ1000.....even with my size all where ride able, admittedly so the CB400 was a 1 hour bike at best.....but the KZ1000 could be ridden all day.

My current "favorite standard" in the garage is my Honda CB550. Good enough power but not enough to be scary for a beginner. Big enough to be comfortable for me.....but not to big for my girlfriend to ride. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades type bike.

The KZ series is well known and also great bikes....my first bike was a KZ1000....my girlfriends first bike was a KZ440. Both were great bikes and should be found easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts