Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha virago 535 every time I start it cold and put it into gear 1 the bike stalls but when the bike is warm it won’t do this problem also when it stalls on cold if I turn the bike off and on it’ll start and go into gear 1 any one know what this is? is it a problem?

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
Two things can be happening. First, when cold, the oil is thicker, and the clutch will drag more, and the engine doesn't have much power to spare to overcome that drag, especially if you don't have the 'choke' on to rev it up. Second, if your clutch lever isn't fully disengaging the clutch, or barely so, the drag would be a bit worse, so make sure the free play in the lever is very small, like less than 1" at the end of the lever.

After the first stall, you have spun the plates against the oil film, heating it (a little) and forcing most of it out, which allows the clutch plates to slide more easily. Also, even though the engine is still cold, the little bit of warming in the cylinders will give a little bit more power, and the engine has more lubrication from the oil being pumped up some.

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Along with what he said, how long are you warming it up? 2-3 minutes in cold weather will do wonders.

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
I believe WintrSol's probably got it figured out.

I had a 1986 Yamaha that had a balky cold clutch and nothing was wrong with it. It helped to pull the clutch lever in and rev the motor a little before going to first gear.

One thing you can do is pull the clutch lever in (bike not running), snap it in gear and push the bike forward in order to 'break loose' the clutch plates before cold starting.

If all else fails, there is a possibility that the steel plates have rusted at some point and rust is embedded in the fiber plates creating a little more drag than what you normally have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts