Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first bike, a 2004 ninja250r with under 10k miles on it. I can get the engine going in neutral when I start it up, but when I pUt it into first, the engine shuts off almost immediAtely after releasing the clutch. It basically just jolts forward a little and comes to a dead stop. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I fix this? I've also heard you have to let ninja 250s warm up a little longer before riding them, could that be it too maybe?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought you can just release the clutch and you'll start moving regardless of giving it gas in first?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put it in neutral, start the engine, pull in the clutch, shift down to first, then slowly release the clutch. Once the clutch is fully released in first gear, it stalks out

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'd suggest taking a motorcycle course to get started with riding. They will show you how to manipulate the throttle and clutch to keep from stalling the engine. There is a lot more to learn as well that will make riding a whole lot easier and safer than going at it alone.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. First thing is learn how to get rolling without actually going anywhere. In your driveway start the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch and shift to first gear then let out the clutch just until it starts to move without giving it gas then slightly pull in the clutch. Once you get a good feel for the point at which the clutch engages(when it just starts to move) start giving it a little gas, just enough so it starts to move without stalling then pull the clutch back in and repeat over and over without going more than a few inches. When you feel confident that you won't stall it then practice actually getting rolling which will require giving more gas in a smooth continuous way, if you have an empty parking lot to practice that may be even better. Then work your way up to shifting from first to second and so on. Learning how to stop is also equally important. I didn't watch the video, thought it might be one of those that show how not to ride, you know guys wrecking on their first or more tries at riding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay thanks, I think My problem was I was letting the clutch all the way out entirely and then giving it has afterwards which caused it to stall. So you're saying once I feel the bike move, give it some gas but gas it before the clutch is entirely let go? Like simultaneously gas the throttle as I'm releasing the clutch?

You guys are awesome for the help thanks again

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yes...if you watch the video, the guy explains how to find the friction zone, like someone else explained. This is the place where the clutch begins to let go and the bike requires energy to move forward. No gas=no energy=no move forward, so it stalls. Finding this sweet spot and learning how to apply and release throttle is a key skill that is gained with lots of practice.

Like Rebeldog said, start your bike, pull in the clutch, kick it into 1st gear, and slowly release the clutch until you feel it start to move the bike...then pull the cluctch back in. Do this over and over until you get a good feel of where that spot is on your bike. Now, as you gradually feel the friction zone approaching, gradually add some throttle and away you will go!

I suggest doing this on a dead end street or in a big open space. The mall after closing on a Sunday night is a best bet :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts