Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother swears by Sta-Bil in his lawn mowers and uses it in every tank no matter the season. He claims that his equipment just runs better with it. Ohio has 10% ethanol at all pumps and we cannot buy anything else.
When it gets to this time of year, I put Sta-bil in all my bikes -- even my favorite ones that I ride nearly every day. [got some strange stares riding in 25 degrees]. The reason for this is that i do not know when the first salt truck will unleash the bike killing salt, and I never ride on that stuff. The cb 750 is a great running bike and I have no desire to have to take those carbies off and clean them.

If you managed to read this far without getting bored, I have noticed that in the CB750 the bike 'lope' at idle has disappeared with the use of Sta-bil and it runs very well indeed as it always has, but now it is smoother at idle. I just wanted to note this and ask anybody if they had experienced this in their own bike.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I put Sta-Bil in my 360, but that is all. Don't buy ethanol here, not forced to.

You might try taking a gas can to a local marina if there is one and get gas there for winter, they should have non ethanol since nearly all marine engines aren't supposed to use it.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I put it in if I know a bike will be sitting for several months, but can't say I've noticed any difference in how they run. Some people swear by it though.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Snake oil?

I have long believed that products like Stabil Seafoam Marvel Mystery oil and so forth are little more than snake oil .

The manufacturers deliberately fail to list the actual ingredients and don't make any verifiable claims as to what the product actually does .

This became doubly so with the advent of ethanol in gasoline. I'm not aware of any chemical that can undo the effects of ethanol once added to fuel. In fact many of the claims made by many products are similar to the claims you would make if you were intentionally adding ethanol to gas such as preventing rust by soaking up any water in the gas.

So if you're still reading you going to be very surprised by what I say next. Working as a professional auto mechanic the BG salesman came in to train us all on use of their companies additives. Very high-priced snake oil in my humble opinion .

But I wasn't going to turn down a free fuel injector cleaning on an old turbo Subaru at 220,000 miles. Since I was commuting nearly 100 miles per day I knew exactly what kind of mileage this car was getting and would be able to detect any change

Almost immediately I begin getting between one and 2 miles per gallon more in the Subaru going from 28?29 to 30?32 with no intentional attempt to drive slower or hyper mile. No change in the weather added tire pressure anything else

The explanation is fairly simple if you have one fuel injector that is partially clogged that cylinder is running lean and putting oxygen into the exhaust a working O2 sensor will pick up consequently the ECM will richen all injectors.

I have since dealt with several cars with over 150,000 miles where one partially clogged injector was causing problems such as lean running. this led to repeat burned valves on one Honda. And this is not a condition the ECM can detect or set a check engine light on since the oxygen sensor reads the combined exhaust of all the cylinders

Whether it's Chevron's Techron Seafoam Marvel Mystery oil or Stabil anything that will help unclog tiny carburetor passageways or clear out fuel injectors or prevent them from clogging in the first place can have a dramatic effect if it works and is certainly cheap enough to try.

A loping idle for instance could very easily be caused by a partially clogged Billy Idol passage on the carburetor The condition the OP describes.

Of course the single most important thing you can do on your bike is NEVER to run old gasoline that has been sitting in the tank going stale all winter. Siphon it out and put in some nice fresh fuel in the spring. Ditto for your lawnmower your chainsaw especially any two-stroke motors. I recommend mixing a new batch of two-stroke fuel at least every 30 days and draining out the old based on my time working in a lawnmower shop.

Quite simply gasoline goes stale today at a much faster rate than it did years ago because of the addition of ethanol which causes it to oxidize and stale fuel is what clogs carburetors and feel injectors.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I keep a 5 gallon can of gasoline on hand with Stabil in it for the generator in case of emergency. I mark a piece of tape on the handle and change it out every year by putting the old gas in my truck and refilling the 5 gallon can. This year I didn't get around to changing it out until October and noticed that the tape was marked, "Jan 14." It didn't smell the way I expected gas to smell after over a year and a half of sitting. I topped up my bike and put the rest in my truck. I didn't notice any issues with either.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I keep a 5 gallon can of gasoline on hand with Stabil in it for the generator in case of emergency. I mark a piece of tape on the handle and change it out every year by putting the old gas in my truck and refilling the 5 gallon can. This year I didn't get around to changing it out until October and noticed that the tape was marked, "Jan 14." It didn't smell the way I expected gas to smell after over a year and a half of sitting. I topped up my bike and put the rest in my truck. I didn't notice any issues with either.
I wouldn't imagine you would. It's supposed to be good for at least 2 years. And even then, it doesn't magically stop working at the 2 year mark. That's just the "best by" date. I would expect you could probably get at least another 6 months out of the stuff, without much problem.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
A loping idle for instance could very easily be caused by a partially clogged Billy Idol passage on the carburetor The condition the OP describes.
So...if you unclog the Billy Idol passage, does it give your vehicle a rebel yell?

·
Ace Tuner
2,913 Posts
If you managed to read this far without getting bored, I have noticed that in the CB750 the bike 'lope' at idle has disappeared with the use of Sta-bil and it runs very well indeed as it always has, but now it is smoother at idle. I just wanted to note this and ask anybody if they had experienced this in their own bike.
Yes, my bone stock FZ1 is a daily rider. There are no partially plugged passages in the carburetors. I keep up with all maintenance and tuning.
The idle is without a doubt smoother when Sta-Bill (green type) is in the fuel. I swear it also feels more powerful, seat of the pants.

I've done more jet kits than I can count and what I've found is the factory carb settings are at -or- near the point of lean misfire. (At sea level).
Sta-Bill in the fuel has the "effect" of enriching the mixture just a touch. That's why the idle improves.
It can not be seen on the spark plugs but the ear can detect it. ;)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I do something simlilar Eye, I keep my 93 "no Ethanol" ( DAMN!!,Im LUCKY to be able to get the Alcohol free gas!) and slight add of 110 racing fuel mix in a 5 Gallon Jug ( Just in case), when Spring rolls around put it in my 4 wheel vehicles and do it again come Fall. I suspect everyone has their own opinion on this and I respect that, My mind is too darn old too change now.LOL
Regards
Ed

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Sta-Bill in the fuel has the "effect" of enriching the mixture just a touch. That's why the idle improves. It can not be seen on the spark plugs but the ear can detect it. ;)
Well that's certainly an interesting theory.

If it were true wouldn't every drag racer in America be touching up their fuel with Sta-bil?

You've got both atomization and vaporization of fuel going on in the intake manifold. Atomization is preferable. It may be that adding a dash of oil slows fuel vaporization JUST ENOUGH to make a difference in the charge density at idle....

·
Ace Tuner
2,913 Posts
Well that's certainly an interesting theory.

If it were true wouldn't every drag racer in America be touching up their fuel with Sta-bil?

You've got both atomization and vaporization of fuel going on in the intake manifold. Atomization is preferable. It may be that adding a dash of oil slows fuel vaporization JUST ENOUGH to make a difference in the charge density at idle....
In racing, (even drag) extra power additives in the fuel are NOT ALLOWED.
I've never seen them check for it at the club level, but at the Pro level they WILL catch you. So, that's out.

The fuel is atomized in the carburetor, before the intake manifold and it's the first step toward vaporization.
Vaporization happens in the intake port when the engine is hot enough to allow it.
That's why a choke is needed with a cold engine. More fuel is needed because of limited vaporization in the cold engine.
The air/fuel mixture MUST turn into a vapor if you are to have efficient burning in the combustion chamber.

Sta-Bill in the fuel does not make the mixture richer, it just has somewhat the same "EFFECT" as a slightly richer mixture would have.
After you adjust the mixture to be as perfect as is possible for the altitude you are running in, the Sta-Bill effect at idle will likely be gone.
At least that's my experience........ ;)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
I use Seafoam now and then, probably not needed but sure hasn't hurt anything ..

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
In racing, (even drag) extra power additives in the fuel are NOT ALLOWED.
Not saying you're wrong, but if that's true, why do they sell octane booster in reputable stores? I'm under the impression that that stuff's meant SPECIFICALLY FOR racing. Because I read somewhere on a bottle of the stuff, that it's not even street legal.

So if it's not STREET legal, it must be meant for tracks, right?

I've never seen them check for it at the club level, but at the Pro level they WILL catch you. So, that's out.

The fuel is atomized in the carburetor, before the intake manifold and it's the first step toward vaporization.
Vaporization happens in the intake port when the engine is hot enough to allow it.
That's why a choke is needed with a cold engine. More fuel is needed because of limited vaporization in the cold engine.
The air/fuel mixture MUST turn into a vapor if you are to have efficient burning in the combustion chamber.
To this point, fun science fact: Flammable liquids ( including gasoline ) are not actually flammable as liquids. Only their VAPORS are. Hence the need for vaporization. Isn't that funny?

·
Ace Tuner
2,913 Posts
Reputable stores and octane booster. Now that's funny. :biggrin:
The reason most octane boosters are not for street use is exhaust emissions. So of course NOBODY would use it in a street machine. :confused:

Does the octane booster you speak of have a power additive in it?
It's been a long time since I've tried octane booster instead of race fuel so that's a snake oil I'm not up on.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Ideally you'd want the carb to atomize the fuel and you'd want this wet mist to get VAPORIZED inside the cylinder, thereby COOLING the charge and increasing charge density. Right?

The intake manifold is merely a necessary evil...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Seafoam about 3 or 4 times a year on average. It has worked well for me. (Improved gas mileage, engine running smoother, etc.). I also ride a CB750.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I use Seafoam about 3 or 4 times a year on average. It has worked well for me. (Improved gas mileage, engine running smoother, etc.). I also ride a CB750.
If you are happy with it, that is good.

I would like to somehow see proof of the good things it does for your bike though. There really is no way it can improve mileage or make it run smoother that I can think of.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Wasting money on octane boosters is common. The typical octane booster will raise your 87 octane all the way up to 87.1 octane. That just doesn't seem to be much for the money. But there will always be people that fall for the snake oil.

Hardly reputable, only good for the less than intelligent people with a few bucks in their pockets.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
So if it's not STREET legal, it must be meant for tracks, right?
Wrong. Every performance mod I have made to my Victory has been marked as "off road use only". That label just means the provider has not spent the time and money to qualify the modification for on road use. Who knows if it would pass, but they are not willing to join me in court if I am asked to defend using the mods on my bike. I ride daily with those mods installed and have zero desire to ever spend time on the track. Track standards are track standards and may be completely unrelated to EPA standards.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts