Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having trouble finding a rear steel sprocket for my Suzuki T350. Would there be a problem using a steel countershaft sprocket and an aluminum one on the rear? I don't recall seeing aluminum countershaft sprockets, but perhaps they are out there. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
Sprocket

No problem that I know of. In fact for me, it has been a common application.
Aluminum rear sprocket weighs less. They are also very hard, so not aluminum in the general sense.
There are sprocket supply places. Do not have it in front of me tho.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For TennesseeZ

Can only respond this way since I am new to the forum.

Thanks, but I was able to find a rear GT250 sprocket that should fit my T350 and PB sells a 14 tooth countershaft that also should work. The problem is that although the original Suzuki P/Ns appear to match, all the descriptions exclude my poor neglected T350 in terms of a match in application. Not sure why. If these don't work, I will bother ya and request the custom sprocket guy's contact info. Lew.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Having trouble finding a rear steel sprocket for my Suzuki T350. Would there be a problem using a steel countershaft sprocket and an aluminum one on the rear? I don't recall seeing aluminum countershaft sprockets, but perhaps they are out there. Thanks.
Hi grumpy 56
I have sent you a couple of PM's, I hope they help.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ed. West Covina is only about 25 miles from where I live so do appreciate the information.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I've worked with metals in many companies. From being a Machinist for many years, to being in the Quality Assurance field for industries that utilize various forms of metals for various applications, (from airplane motors to Telecomm Filters).

It has been MY experience that Aluminum CAN be a blessing in terms of weight and strength, if the right kind of heat treating and alloy is used for the right application.

I remember back "in the day" (mid-seventies) when the Toyota company started manufacturing Aluminum Heads for their motors. It was almost a guarantee that the owner of that vehicle would need a Valve Job after 30,000 miles, due to wharpage of the Head. They have fixed that issue since.

The manufacturing sector as a whole, has learned how to mix the right amount of various metals with the Aluminum, to keep the Aluminum strong.

Do I believe that a Sprocket application can be trusted, if made of Aluminum? It depends on the level of stress being put on that Sprocket. In the case of an Aluminum Head, (for example) the greatest "stress" in THAT application, is "heat."
In the case of a Sprocket, I would think the greatest stress in that application to be friction and tension. (yes, some heat, but not as much as a Head).

You could try it for sure. But I would do my homework, and find out what TYPE of "Aluminum alloy" was used, and find the one with a larger amount of X750 mixed into it, or "Tool Steel" or even "Titanium" before buying any particular one. Longevity is everything. If the part will only last a season, then I'd much rather go with a Sprocket made of a stronger metal.

-Soupy

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with Soupy on this.
I once made the mistake of buying an Alu-alloy sprocket for my 500lb Zed - it was a tad expensive and toothless before two months was up, needless to say I was not amused as it was bought upon the recommendation of a shop idiot.
(Mind you, I do replace heavy duty chain and sprockets at less than 12 month intervals as the old girl has a nasty habit of eating consumable parts).

I wouldn't have thought that the logistics of lightweight sprockets would not figure greatly with the OP's 350. Steel sprockets and a hefty chain should see a good few seasons if looked after.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts