Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's comin folks!! We're almost (if not already) half way thru "Winter" here in New England.

In terms of riding conditions......THIS year has offered a LOT of dry roads.

That said however, the temps have been too cold (in general). We've just lucked out in the "snow" department so far. It is likely that we could get away with little or no more snow (although anyone who knows "New England" will realize that we could still get BLASTED during February and March), by the way the weather patterns have been.

I guess my recent two week vacation that I just had in Florida had an effect on me, and my mindset towards riding.

But FIRST I have to get this back pain outa me. Came home and it fell apart on me. Walking like an old man!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
183 Posts
This year I am counting down the days until April first as I figure that should be a good starting point.

Heard a news cast that said last year was the warmest on record, however I remember winter being vary cold and the summer not so hot.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We've dealt with more icy roads up here in the Litchfield hills than I can remember in a long time. Spun out last night for the first time in 25 years, nearly ate a set of rails. I'd rather have the snow than the ice. Atleast snow gives some traction. Global warming, my buttinski......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
"Every day is 1 day closer to spring :) & I can see as each day/week goes by the sun comes up just a bit earlier & stays in the sky a bit longer,, woohooo!!"

...Heard a news cast that said last year was the warmest on record, however I remember winter being vary cold and the summer not so hot.
Last summer here was the wettest/coolest one that I can recall :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Spring

Ah spring. The time to take the plates off the XS400, and put them on the SV1000. After paying a bit more for the insurance.
Gives me an 80 hp boot up the tail pipe, suspension and brakes to die for, and a smooth 6 speed gearbox. Oh the joy.
But there is still about 2 1/2 months to go on the 400.

Meanwhile: Boat show this week.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I have been stuck in the same cycle now for about 2 months...dry and cold for three days, a warmup day, rain rain rain, 2 gorgeous drying days cooling back down to cold cold cold, restart. I am looking forward to the February sun...every year we have a spell of about a week where it warms up and is beautifully sunny, usually in mid-February. I am going to San Diego for our anniversary in early Feb, so hoping to come home to some of the same :)

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Mid 30s lately here in WI. People are walking around in sweatshirts and talking spring.

FOOLS.

We are probably in for another solid month and a half of winter. It's been an easy one thus far... so we are bound for some hammering soon.

First big ride is the Flood Run in mid April, which is the ice breaker around here. Last year there were still a few inches of snow on the ground and temps in the low 40s.

C

·
0 Posts
Mid 30s lately here in WI. People are walking around in sweatshirts and talking spring.

FOOLS.

We are probably in for another solid month and a half of winter. It's been an easy one thus far... so we are bound for some hammering soon.
I think you are right we are in for hammering soon. We are not getting off this easy for a winter for sure.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
But FIRST I have to get this back pain outa me. Came home and it fell apart on me. Walking like an old man!!

-Soupy
Not walking like this old man soupy. I have been out riding the last few days. I just love a nice January thaw.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I dunno, it has been a REALLY mild Winter here. In early December there was a dusting of snow that disappeared as fast as it came, and a couple more in the last month in some outlying areas, but really there has not been much of a threat of anything. I have been rained out from riding to work about half a dozen times, and a couple of those were like yesterday, where l could have ridden but l pussed out because it was Sunday and parking was free, so l drove my truck.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Our winter has been the usual hodgepodge of deep cold spells and above-normal periods - "normal" here is just a mathematical illusion! - but it has been a LOT better than last year's coldest winter on record!

I have been working on mounting a sidecar to my FXD and should have that complete by Thursday. Friday is forecast to be -3 so I may throw some ballast in the sidecar and go make circles in the snow! ;)

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Heard a news cast that said last year was the warmest on record, however I remember winter being vary cold and the summer not so hot.
It takes some mathematical gymnastics to come up with those figures. From what I understand they are looking at computer models of projected temperatures and not actual temperatures. (Maybe still using the debunked "hockey stick" graph to figure what the temperature was last year)

They are peeing on our legs and telling us it's raining.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
As bad as I'm itching to ride, I'm still in need of new tires first. Santa couldn't quite swing them for me at Christmas, but he hooked up my grand kids so it's all good.

I should have them before warm weather gets here though. I'm sure we'll get hit by a big snow storm in Feb, we always do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I now in Austin, Texas and it is 81* today saw lots of bikes out but not mine it in Fort Worth. I did get out Friday, Saturday and Monday put a couple hunderd miles on the Gray Ghost felt good

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Running the checklist in my mind, as I stand near the bike:

1. Get the steel wool out of the tailpipe
2. Get the ignition key down off the wall, and install
3. Get the bike down off the lift (THAT'S important.....lol)
4. Turn the Fuel switch to "Run"
5. Run the bike for 10 minutes
6. Check the air pressure in the tires and adjust as needed
7. Change the oil and oil filter
8. Take an honest look at the road conditions and ride
when possible.

I'm thinking "mid-March" like last year!!

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 88 Posts